Westby-with-Plumptons shown within Lancashire
|Population||1,107 (2001 UK census)|
|OS grid reference|
|– London||196 miles (315 km)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Westby-with-Plumptons is a civil parish in Lancashire, North West England. The parish is in Fylde district and contains the hamlets of Great Plumpton, Little Plumpton, Lower Ballam, Higher Ballam, Moss Side (formerly Brown Moss Side), Peel, and Westby. At the 2001 census, the parish had a population of 1,107. Westby and Plumpton were both mentioned in the Domesday Book, as "Westbi" and "Pluntun".
Westby-with-Plumptons is part of the Warton and Westby ward, which is represented by three councillors on Fylde Borough Council On Lancashire County Council it is part of Fylde West ward, which elects one councillor.
St. Anne's Church
Westby is notable for the fine Catholic church of St. Anne's, designed by E. W. Pugin and built in 1860.
The conventional church exterior does not prepare the visitor for the striking interior with its elaborate timber roof . Above the altar the timbers follow the apse and form a frame or focal point. At the west end is a gallery.
Despite the unusual shape of the nave windows, the stained glass is largely unspectacular. But two of the windows are noteworthy - the Pre-Raphaelite styled "St Cecilia" in a green gown, with roses in the cusps, and the "Millennium" window with its inscription.
- "Map of Westby-with-Plumptons CP". Lancashire County Council. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "2001 Census: Key Statistics: Parish Headcounts: Area: Westby-with-Plumptons CP (Parish)". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 2008-07-17.[dead link]
- "Townships: Westby-with-Plumptons". A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 7. British History Online. 1912. pp. 174–176. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "Council and Democracy: Councillor Search: Warton and Westby". Fylde Borough Council. Retrieved 2008-07-17.[dead link]
- "County Councillors by Area (A-Z)". Lancashire County Council. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "Westby-with-Plumptons Parish Council". Lancashire Parish Portal. Lancashire County Council. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- St. Anne's Westby
|This Lancashire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|