The Greek ethnographer and explorer of the Hellenistic period, Megasthenes was the ambassador of Seleucus I at India. In his work, Indika (Greek: Ινδικά), he wrote the history of Indians and their culture. Dionysius was also a Greek ambassador at India, sent by Ptolemy Philadelphus.
The Heliodorus pillar is a stone column that was erected around 110 BCE in present-day central India in Vidisha near modern Besnagar, by Heliodorus, a Greek ambassador of the Indo-Greek king Antialcidas to the court of the Sunga king Bhagabhadra. The site is located only 5 miles from the Buddhist stupa of Sanchi.
Dimitrios Galanos (Greek: Δημήτριος Γαλανός, 1760–1833) was the earliest recorded Greek Indologist. His translations of Sanskrit texts into Greek made knowledge of the philosophical and religious ideas of India available to many Europeans. A "Dimitrios Galanos" Chair for Hellenic Studies was established at Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi, India in September 2000.
Relations between Greece and India started in May 1950. The new Greek Embassy building in New Delhi was inaugurated on 6 February 2006.
Thessaloniki was twinned with Kolkata at January 2005.
About 12,000-13,000 Indian people live at Greece.
List of recent bilateral visites
- In December 2000, Greek Foreign Minister George Papandreou visited India.
- In February 2001, Prime Minister of Greece Kostas Simitis visited India.
- In September 2006, Speaker of the Lok Sabha Somnath Chatterjee visited Greece.
- In April 2007, President of India Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam made an unofficial visit to Athens.
List of bilateral treaties
- Agreement on Cultural Exchange, 1961
- Agreement on Avoidance of Double Taxation, 1967
- Agreement for Joint Commission for Economic, Scientific and Technical Cooperation, 1983.
- Joint Business Council of FICCI and ASSOCHAM and the Athens Chamber of Commerce, 1996.
- Agreement of Cooperation between Hellenic Foreign Trade Board and India *Trade Promotion Organisation, 1996.
- Agreement on Tourism Cooperation, 1998.
- MOU on Defence Cooperation, 1998.
- MOU for Cooperation in Agriculture, 2001.
- Agreement on Promotion and Reciprocal Protection of Investments (BIPA), 2007.
- Agreement on Cooperation in Science & Technology, 2007.
- MOU between CII and Federation of Greek Industries, 2007.
- MOU for Cooperation between Institute of Science, Bangalore and *National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), 2007
External Links & References