Greektown Casino Hotel
|Greektown Casino Hotel|
|Casino hotel skyscraper in Greektown|
|Location||555 East Lafayette
|Opening date||November 10, 2000|
|No. of rooms||400|
|Total gaming space||100,000 ft²|
|Owner||Greektown Superholdings, Inc.
Greektown Newco Sub Inc.
Greektown Casino Hotel in Detroit, Michigan is one of three casino resort hotels in the city, and one of four in the Detroit-Windsor area. Greektown Casino, LLC is majority owned by Greektown Superholdings, Inc. and Greektown Newco Sub Inc. Detroit is one of the largest American cities and metropolitan regions to offer casino resort hotels. The casino hotel is centered in Detroit's Greektown Historic District.
History and development
Site preparation for the new hotel which included demolition of a city-owned parking garage started in June 2006. Construction began in October 2006 and finished in 2009.
The hotel tower rises 344 ft. (105 m.) with 30 floors. It opened November 15, 2007 with a new 13-storey, 3,500-space, free parking garage at Monroe and St. Antoine. In November 2008 25,000 square feet (2,300 m2) of additional gaming space opened over Lafayette to bring total gaming space to 100,000 square feet (9,300 m2) and expanded and re-designed VIP gaming area opened February 16, 2009: a 30-storey,400-room hotel attached to the parking garage. In November 2009, 25,000 square feet (2,300 m2) of convention space opened with a newly designed poker room. Steelman Partners were the architects and interior designers for the original project.
Two investors group Greektown Superholdings, Inc. and Greektown Newco Sub Inc. acquired the casino hotel after former owners, the Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians, filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection.
- Caesars Windsor
- Greektown Detroit People Mover station
- Wikimedia graph of Detroit's casino revenues
- List of tallest buildings in Detroit
- "Sault Tribe loses grip on Greektown Casino". Sooeveningnews.com. 2010-06-29. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- Mink, Randy, and Karen Mink (July 2001).Detroit Turns 300 - Detroit 300 Festival. Travel America, World Publishing Co., Gale Group.
- "Review of Greektown Casino in Detroit - Review of Greektown Casino in Detroit". Detroit.about.com. 2013-11-13. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- Detroit News. (online) "Greektown Casino files for bankruptcy" 31 May 2008.
- Dave Davis (January 16, 2013). "Dan Gilbert to buy Detroit's Greektown Casino, a money-making and revitalization effort". The Plain Dealer (Cleveland). Retrieved 2012-01-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Greektown Casino Hotel.|