Greeley County, Nebraska
|Greeley County, Nebraska|
Greeley County Courthouse in Greeley
Location in the state of Nebraska
Nebraska's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Horace Greeley|
|• Total||571 sq mi (1,479 km2)|
|• Land||570 sq mi (1,476 km2)|
|• Water||1 sq mi (3 km2), 0.15%|
|• Density||3/sq mi (1/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
In the Nebraska license plate system, Greeley County is represented by the prefix 62 (it had the sixty-second-largest number of vehicles registered in the county when the license plate system was established in 1922).
- Wheeler County, Nebraska - (north)
- Boone County, Nebraska - (northeast)
- Nance County, Nebraska - (southeast)
- Howard County, Nebraska - (south)
- Sherman County, Nebraska - (southwest corner)
- Valley County, Nebraska - (west)
||Wheeler County||Boone County|
|Sherman County||Howard County||Nance County|
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,714 people, 1,077 households, and 734 families residing in the county. The population density was 5 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 1,199 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.94% White, 0.66% Black or African American, 0.07% Native American, 0.07% Asian, 0.77% from other races, and 0.48% from two or more races. 0.85% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,077 households out of which 29.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.00% were married couples living together, 6.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.80% were non-families. 30.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.90% under the age of 18, 5.90% from 18 to 24, 21.60% from 25 to 44, 22.40% from 45 to 64, and 23.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 97.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $28,375, and the median income for a family was $34,159. Males had a median income of $22,036 versus $17,056 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,731. About 11.90% of families and 14.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.10% of those under age 18 and 10.50% of those age 65 or over.
57.4% of the county's 1,794 registered voters are Democrats, making Greeley the second most Democratic county in Nebraska.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Burr, George L. (1921). History of Hamilton and Clay Counties, Nebraska, Volume 1. S.J. Clarke Publishing Company. p. 115.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 143.
- Greeley County. Nebraska Association of County Officials. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.