Green & Black's
|Founders||Craig Sams and Josephine Fairley|
|Headquarters||United Kingdom, United States, Australia, Canada|
|Key people||Craig Sams, et al.|
|Products||Chocolate, Ice Cream, Biscuits, Baking Chocolate|
Green & Black's is a UK-based chocolate company, owned by Mondelēz International, one of two companies formerly known as Kraft Foods. The company produces a range of chocolate bars, ice cream, biscuits and hot chocolate, with its principal manufacturing sites in Canada, Poland, and Italy. Its products are organic and premium-priced.
Green & Black's was founded in 1991 by organic food pioneer Craig Sams and his wife, the magazine editor and journalist Josephine Fairley. The name was derived not from any founders' surnames, but from a wordplay — "Green" standing for the environmental concerns of the founders, and "Black" for the high cocoa solids chocolate they wished to provide. In 1994, the company began purchasing Fairtrade cocoa from Maya farmers in Belize for the Maya Gold chocolate bar, and was awarded the 1994 Worldaware Business Award for good business practice, as well as the UK's first Fairtrade mark. The company has a small office in Punta Gorda, Belize.
Green & Black's Australia chocolate announced that it would convert 90% of its range to Fairtrade by the end of 2010, and its entire range by 2011.
In May 2005, Cadbury Schweppes (latterly Cadbury plc) bought Green & Black's for an undisclosed sum, estimated to be around £20m. Cadbury pledged to run the company as a separate business.
On January 19, 2010, Cadbury was taken over by Kraft Foods. Cadbury was valued at £11.5 billion ($19.5 billion US).
Green & Black's sells chocolate bars, baking chocolate, and hot chocolate products in the United States, they are sold in stores such as Whole Foods Market, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, among other retailers nationwide. They have various chocolate bars, on various flavors such as "Milk 36% Cacao", "Dark 86% Cacao", "Milk with Peanuts", and "White". All are organic, and all are Fairtrade Certified.
Green & Black's is also one of the largest organic chocolate companies in the US.
On October 15, 2012 Mondelēz Global LLC conducted voluntary U.S. recall of Green & Black’s organic peanut and sea salt milk chocolate bar due to possible health risk.
- Green & Black's
- Green & Black's profile
- BBC News: Cadbury gobbles up organic rival (13 May 2005)
- The Guardian: interview with Craig Sams (16 May 2005)
- The Observer: How a £1.50 chocolate bar saved a Mayan community from destruction (28 May 2006)
- Green & Black's Australia going Fair Trade. The Fair Trade Association of Australia and New Zealand
- BBC News: Kraft takes over Cadburys (2 February 2010)
- FDA FDA U.S. Food and Drug administration: Recalls (Last Updated: 10/15/2012)
- "Green & Black's - Organic". Archived from the original on 2007-01-28. Retrieved 2007-02-21.
- http://www.greenandblacks.com/uk/our-story/our-beginning.html greenandblacks.com
- http://www.fta.org.au/news/293?sssdmh=dm16.409959 Fair trade Association Australia and New Zealand
- http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm324043.htm FDA