Green Bay, New Zealand
A park in Green Bay
|Local authority||Waitakere City|
Green Bay is an Auckland suburb. It is under the local governance of the Auckland Council. The population was 3,936 in the 2006 Census, an increase of 321 from 2001. The main road running through Green Bay is Godley Road and this is the Urban Route 15 that follows through Green Bay to Titirangi and Laingholm.
Green Bay has a small shopping district located on Godley Road which consists of a dairy, video store, bakery, various Chinese food outlets, a supermarket, medical cente, florist, hair stylist & chemist. There is also a fruit shop & petrol station located on either side of the Green Bay border. There is a post office in Green Bay and real estate offices. There is also a Plunket centre, which offers support and information of different parenting issues from breastfeeding to infant nutrition.
Green Bay beach is part of the Karaka Park coastal walk. In pre-European times, the beach was the southern end of a portage between the Waitemata and Manukau harbours via the Whau River. At the west end of the beach there was a large Māori pā at Motukaraka (which is today Karaka Park). The area was originally called Karaka Bay, but was renamed to the current name to avoid confusion with other bays named Karaka.
Green Bay Primary School is a full primary (years 1-8) school with a decile rating of 7 and a roll of 542. It opened in 1960, and covered years 1-6 until an intermediate department was added in 1987.
Both schools are coeducational, and situated next to each other on Godley Road.
- Quickstats about Green Bay
- Gregory's Auckland & Surrounds Street Directory (3rd ed.). 2008. p. map 105. ISBN 978-0-7319-2048-8.
- Bay "Manukau Harbour Beaches". Waitakere City Council. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- Glen, A.W. (November 2006). "Manukau coastline, from Green Bay to Onehunga". Blockhouse Bay Historical Society. Retrieved 2009-05-14.[dead link]
- Discover New Zealand:A Wises Guide (9th ed.). 1994. p. 18.
- Te Kete Ipurangi schools database: Green Bay High School
- "About Us". Green Bay High School. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- Te Kete Ipurangi schools database: Green Bay Primary School
- "A Brief History". Green Bay Primary School. Retrieved 2009-05-14.