Green High School (Green, Ohio)
|Green High School|
|1474 Boettler Road
Green, OH, 44685, USA
|Motto||"Making a Difference"|
|Superintendent||Jeffrey L. Miller II|
|Principal||Mrs. Cynthia M. Brown|
|Chief custodian||David M. Law Jr.|
|Number of students||1,311 (2010-2011)|
|School color(s)||Orange & Black|
|Athletics||OHSAA Division 1|
|Average ACT scores (2013)||22.9|
|Website||Green High School|
Green High School is a public high school in Green, Ohio, just south of Akron, Ohio. It is the only high school in the Green Local Schools district. The school colors are orange and black, and the mascot is the bulldog. The fight song is Ohio State's "Across the Field".
Green is one of the eight schools who compete in the Suburban League. Green joined the league in 1949 as an original member. In August 2013, it was announced that Green High School sports teams will join the Federal League beginning with the 2015-2016 school year.
The current principal of Green High School is Mrs. Cynthia Brown. Assistant Principals are Joya Mitchell and Bill Bridenthal. The superintendent of Green Local Schools is Jeffrey L. Miller II.
Advanced Placement Program
Offered by the College Board, the Advanced Placement program is very popular in Green. According to US News, around 31% of students enroll in at least one AP course, while the average test taker completes 2.3 exams. The passage rate is much higher than the national average, and approximately 82% of students pass with a score of 3 or higher.
Clubs and activities
The school offers a wide variety of extracurricular activities and clubs, including the Academic Challenge Team, Art Club, Musical Theater, Chain Reaction, Choir, Chess Club, Do Something club, Ensemble, Fellowship of Christian Students (FCS), Girls of Green, jazz ensemble, Key Club, marching band, National Honor Society, Pep band, Pit Orchestra, Pro-Life club, Student Council, and Spanish Club.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
In 1986, Green High School's track team won the Boys AAA Track and Field State Championship. Mark Croghan, state champion 1,600 and 3,200 meter runner; Brian Kelly, state champion pole vaulter; and Mark McClure, state runner-up high jumper helped propel Green to victory. On September 13, 2013, the members were honored as the inaugural class of Green High School's Hall of Fame.
The Green High School alma mater is to the tune of Annie Lisle.
Approximately 93.8% of students are white, while the rest are black (1.3%), Asian or Pacific Islander (2.1%), Hispanic (0.9%), and Multiracial (1.9%). Students with disabilities make up around 12.6% of the student body. About 16.8% of students are eligible for either free or reduced lunch programs and are classified as economically disadvantaged. Males make up slightly more than half of the student body with 53%, while 47% of the students are females. The are roughly 17.1 students per teacher, thus having around 82 teachers. 93.8% of students graduate from Green in four years and 96.4% graduate in 5 years. The average daily enrollment for the 2012-2013 school year was 1,260 students.
According to the U.S. News & World Report, Green High School was ranked 66th in Ohio for the 2010-2011 school year and 1,326th in the United States. US News awarded Green High School with a silver medal.
- Mark Croghan, U.S. Olympian (Steeplechase)
- Dick Goddard, meteorologist for WJW, author, cartoonist, animal rights activist
- Heather Kozar, 1999 Playboy Playmate of the Year
- Bridget Linton, 2010 Miss Ohio Teen USA
- David Lough, current outfielder for the Baltimore Orioles.
- "Building a City: 20 Years in the Making". http://www.cityofgreen.org/. 2012. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Senior Checklist". Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Strategic Plan Update 2013". Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Green set to join the Federal League in 2015-2016; Suburban League seeks to move forward with its own expansion plan". Akron Beacon Journal. August 20, 2013. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- "Meet the Green High School Principals". Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Green High School Test Scores". http://www.usnews.com/. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Ohio High School Athletic Association". Retrieved 2007-01-30.
- "Green Hall of Fame Inductees". September 11, 2013. Retrieved January 6, 2014.
- "2012-2013 Report Card for Green High School". http://education.ohio.gov/. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Bridget Linton Miss Ohio Teen USA 2010". Retrieved 14 August 2014.