Green Is the Colour
|"Green Is the Colour"|
|Song by Pink Floyd from the album Soundtrack from the Film More|
|Published||Lupus Music Co. Ltd|
|Released||13 June 1969 (UK)
9 August 1969 (US)
|Label||EMI Columbia (UK)
|Soundtrack from the Film More track listing|
"Green Is the Colour" is a track on Pink Floyd's 1969 Soundtrack from the Film More. It was composed and written by Roger Waters and sung by David Gilmour. A tin whistle is heard in the song, played by drummer Nick Mason's then-wife Lindy.
Live arrangements of the song were performed as a full electric band piece and at a slower tempo. Richard Wright built a calm sheen of warbling organ sound throughout, which created a more natural segue into the piece that always immediately followed it, "Careful with That Axe, Eugene". David Gilmour also sang a scat vocal over his guitar solo during the outro. In a live intro to the song from 1970, Roger Waters states that the song is "about being on Ibiza" the setting of the film, More.
In The Man and The Journey suite, the song was retitled "The Beginning" in "The Journey" half of the show. It was played as a medley with "Beset by the Creatures of the Deep", which was a retitling of "Careful with That Axe, Eugene".
The song was a regular part of the band's shows from early 1969 through 1970, then less common in 1971. It was played for the last time during their short tour of Japan and Australia in August 1971.
It is in the key of G major.
- David Gilmour — acoustic guitar and vocals
- Richard Wright — piano and organ
- Nick Mason — drums
- Roger Waters — bass
- Lindy Mason — tin whistle
- Strong, Martin C. (2004). The Great Rock Discography (7th ed.). Edinburgh: Canongate Books. p. 1177. ISBN 1-84195-551-5.
- Mabbett, Andy (1995). The Complete Guide to the Music of Pink Floyd. London: Omnibus Press. ISBN 0-7119-4301-X.
- "Pink Floyd More Discography".
- Roger Waters, for example on the bootleg Interstellar Encore, with a given date of 29 April 1970
|This 1960s rock-song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|