Green Left Weekly
|Political alignment||Revolutionary socialism, Anti-capitalism, Ecosocialism|
|Headquarters||Broadway, NSW 2007
Green Left Weekly is an Australian socialist newspaper, written by progressive activists to "present the views excluded by the big business media". It was initiated in 1990 as a proposal for a broad left publication from the Democratic Socialist Perspective (DSP) which ceased publication of its own party newspaper in order to support the project. Green Left Weekly 's 20th anniversary issue was published in February 2011, and in March 2014, the 1,000th edition of Green Left Weekly was published.
It is an independent Australian source of local, national and international news, and provides left-wing analysis and debate to strengthen the anti-capitalist and socialist movements. In an editorial in the first issue, Green Left Weekly stated:
|“||This is a paper by and for the green and progressive movement. We would like it to reflect the movement in action and in discussion. We want to reflect the controversies and the concerns as well as the achievements and celebrations.||”|
Subjects of particular importance to Green Left Weekly include workers rights, refugees, women's rights, global warming, environmental destruction, Australian Aboriginal land rights, and foreign policy, especially Australia's military intervention in the Asia-Pacific region, the U.S. led invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq and other forms of U.S. political intervention overseas (such as in Latin America).
In 2011, Green Left Weekly was investigated by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission at the request of the Baillieu Ministry for supporting Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions actions in Melbourne. The movement was found not to have violated any laws.
The newspaper strongly supports the Bolivarian Revolution in Venezuela led by Hugo Chávez, and in the past opened a bureau in Caracas to improve its coverage of events there. At the time, it was the only Australian newspaper with a bureau in Latin America.
It is also the only Australian newspaper to regularly print articles by left-wing journalist John Pilger. Pilger has said of Green Left Weekly: "There are few other newspapers — radical or any other kind — that draw together news and analysis that is as well informed, credible, and non-sectarian as Green Left Weekly. Its work has influenced mine and has been a beacon to those who believe the press ought to be an agent of the people."
Since 2008, Green Left Weekly has published a monthly Arabic language supplement, The Flame, edited by Socialist Alliance members of the growing Sudanese Australian community. In 2009, Green Left Weekly launched a new Spanish language supplement, Foro Social Latinamericano, edited by the Latin America Social Forum in Sydney, a collaboration between left-wing members and groups in the Latin American community in Australia.
In June 2005 Green Left weekly won an award from web-surveying company Hitwise. Hitwise ranked the website as the most popular Australian-based political site. Green Left Weekly received a similar award in 2006, and in the period between June and December 2009, Green Left weekly once again ranked in the top ten, achieving 7th position.
Green Left Weekly is routinely criticised by News Limited publications including editorials and opinion pieces in The Australian, in particular accusing Green Left Weekly of supporting terrorism and anti-semitism for their criticism of Israel.
- Green Left - Australia's leading radical newspaper
- Green Left Weekly turns 20
- GLW issue number 1000. Green Left Weekly. Retrieved on 13 June 2014
- "Green Left launched amid anti-war campaign". Green Left Weekly. January 18, 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Israeli boycotts: ACCC called in". The Australian. 8 August 2011. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "'You can’t sweeten apartheid!' Protests target Max Brenner in Melbourne, Sydney". Green Left Weekly. 10 September 2011. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Bolivian indigenous people lead democracy struggle". Green Left Weekly. 10 October 2008. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- "John Pilger wins Sydney Peace Prize". Green Left Weekly. 9 August 2009. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- "Make a Donation to Green Left". Green Left Weekly. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- "The Flame, October 2008 - Green Left Weekly's Arabic supplement". Links International Journal of Socialist Renewal. 22 October 2008. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- "`Foro Social Latinamericano', Green Left Weekly's Spanish-language supplement launched". Links International Journal of Socialist Renewal. 25 November 2009. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- "Hitwise Competitive Intelligence - Top Ten Awards - 2005". Hitwise. Archived from the original on 1 September 2006. Retrieved 23 February 2007.
- "GLW wins web award for popularity". Green Left Weekly. 13 March 2010. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- "A willing ally to Hamas's hatred". The Australian. 1 July 2009. Retrieved 11 November 2011.