Green Party of Prince Edward Island
|Green Party of Prince Edward Island|
Active provincial party
|Headquarters||Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island|
|Seats in Legislature|
|Politics of Prince Edward Island
The Green Party of Prince Edward Island is a registered provincial political party in Prince Edward Island, Canada founded by Sharon Labchuk. The party was registered in 2005 and ran candidates in both the 2007 and 2011 elections.
The Green Party of PEI ran 18 candidates during its first election, in May 2007, winning 3.04% of the vote or 4.44% in ridings contested, and replacing the Island New Democrats as the Island's third party. The result had marked the first time a Green Party has bested a New Democratic Party at the federal or provincial level in Canada at that time.
A third of all candidates captured more than 5.40%. Jamie Larkin had the best result of 8.45% followed by dentist Peter Bevan-Baker 6.84%, Cindy Burton 6.68%, Party leader Sharon Labchuk 6.03%, Denise Reiser 5.79%, and Jodie Bowmaster 5.40%.
All other candidates captured less than 5.0%, however 14 out of the 18 candidates had placed ahead of the NDP, two of the four candidates who finished fourth did so by just one and two votes.
In the 2011 general election the party increased its number of candidates from 18 in the 2007 election to 22, and upped the vote share from 3% to 4.4%, or 5.3% in ridings contested, beating out the P.E.I. New Democrats for third place once again. The party increased its votes per riding from 138 to 147, a feat amplified by the drop in turnout in the province from 84 to 77%.
Party leader Sharon Labchuk running in Charlottetown-Victoria Park had the best result at 12.82%, followed by Elizabeth Schoales in Charlottetown-Brighton at 10.17%, and Peter Bevan-Baker in Kellys Cross-Cumberland at 9.36%.
|General election||# of candidates||# of elected candidates||% of popular vote||% of vote in contested ridings||# of votes|
|By-election||Date||Candidate name||% of popular vote|
|Belfast-Murray River||October 15, 2007||Ahmon Katz||3.62%|
- List of Green party leaders in Canada
- List of Green politicians who have held office in Canada
- Green Party of Prince Edward Island leadership election, 2012
- Elections PEI: May 28, 2007 Provincial General Election - Province-wide Summary
- CBC.ca | Prince Edward Island Votes 2007 | District Profiles
- Report of the Chief Electoral Officer of Prince Edward Island
- Wright, Teresa (12 July 2012). "Labchuk steps down as Green Party leader". Charlottetown: The Guardian. Archived from the original on 15 July 2012. Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- "Bevan-Baker acclaimed as P.E.I. Green Party leader". Charlottetown: The Guardian. 3 November 2012. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- Wright, Teresa (17 July 2012). "Green Party of P.E.I. appoints interim leader". Charlottetown: The Guardian. Archived from the original on 17 July 2012.