Green River (song)
|Single by Creedence Clearwater Revival|
|from the album Green River|
|Format||7" 45 RPM|
|Recorded||Sometime from March to June 1969 at Wally Heider Studios in San Francisco, California|
|Creedence Clearwater Revival singles chronology|
"Green River" is a song by American rock band Creedence Clearwater Revival. The song was written by John Fogerty and was released as a single in July 1969, one month before the album of the same name was released (see 1969 in music).
What really happened is that I used a setting like New Orleans, but I would actually be talking about thing from my own life. Certainly a song like "Green River" – which you may think would fit seamlessly into the Bayou vibe, but it's actually about the Green River, as I named it – it was actually called Putah Creek by Winters, California. It wasn't called Green River, but in my mind I always sort of called it Green River. All those little anecdotes are part of my childhood, those are things that happened to me actually, I just wrote about them and the audience shifted at the time and place.
Sales and airplay
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||5|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||8|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||19|
|US Billboard Hot 100||2|
Mary Wilson of The Supremes worked with UK record producer Gus Dudgeon on a cover version in the early 1980s. It remains unreleased. Country band Alabama recorded a cover version of the song that appears on their 1982 album Mountain Music. The Minutemen included a live performance cover of the song on their 1984 EP Tour-Spiel. Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings covered it on their first album, Struttin' Our Stuff.
Appearances in other media
- The song is available as a playable song for the Rock Band series of music video games as downloadable content.
- This song is played in the trailer for the film Taking Woodstock.
- The song is featured in the video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on the classic rock radio station K-DST.
- This song is played during the lawn mower race in the King Of The Hill episode "Hank's Back Story"
- Chronicle: The 20 Greatest Hits (CD liner). Creedence Clearwater Revival. United States: Fantasy Records. 1991. FCD-CCR2-2.
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine. "Overview: Green River by Creedence Clearwater Revival". Allmusic. United States: Rovi Corporation. Retrieved December 29, 2010.
- Green River (Expanded Reissue) (PDF) (CD liner). Creedence Clearwater Revival. United States: Concord Music Group. 2008. FAN-30877-02.
- RIAA Certification Search
- Thompson, Art. "John Fogerty Summons His Creedence-Era Spirit on Revival"
- Michael Goldberg (1993). Jann S. Wenner, ed. "Fortunate Son: John Fogerty - The 1993 Rolling Stone Interview". Rolling Stone (United States: Jann S. Wenner). Retrieved December 29, 2010.
- Greene, Andy. Q&A: John Fogerty on All-Star Duets LP, Unlikely Creedence Reunion, Rolling Stone, May 4, 2012
- "Austriancharts.at – Creedence Clearwater Revival – Green River" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "RPM - Item Display: Top Singles - Volume 12, No. 5, September 20, 1969" (PHP). Library and Archives Canada. March 31, 2004.
- "Chartverfulgong > Creedence Clearwater Revival > Green River – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archive Chart: 1969-12-27" UK Singles Chart.
- "Creedence Clearwater Revival - Billboard Singles". Allmusic. United States: Rovi Corporation. Retrieved December 29, 2010.