A series of articles on
The Green Scapular of the Immaculate Heart of Mary is a Roman Catholic devotional scapular. The Green Scapular was approved by Pope Pius IX in 1863 and again in 1870. He said: "write to these good Sisters that I authorize them to make and distribute it." The Green Scapular is commonly called a scapular due to its appearance but is not descended from the scapulars of the religious orders.
The scapular is made of green fabric. The front has an image of the burning heart pierced by a sword with dripping blood, above which is a crux immissa, encircled by the words: "Immaculate Heart of Mary pray for us now and at our hour of death." The reverse shows a full standing image of the Blessed Virgin Mary with the radiant Immaculate Heart.
Ten years after the manifestation of the Miraculous Medal to Saint Catherine Labouré, the Blessed Virgin Mary, in an apparition on September 8, 1840, the Feast of her Nativity, entrusted the Green Scapular of her Immaculate Heart to Sister Justine Bisqueyburu, a religious of the Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul. Our Lady promised that this new Scapular would contribute to the conversion of souls, particularly those who have no faith, and would procure for them a happy death.
Since it is not the emblem of a confraternity but simply a double image attached to a single piece of cloth, no investiture is necessary. The only requirement is that the Green Scapular be blessed by a priest and worn or carried by the person wishing to benefit by it. If however, the person in need of grace is obstinate, the Green Scapular may be placed secretly inside his clothing, home or possessions, and the giver should say the prayer instead.
- Wear or carry the scapular
- To help another, place it in their vicinity (i.e. their room)
- Pray, at least daily: "Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death"
- The prayer should be said for oneself and separately for each person to whom it has been given (unless they pray themselves)
- No enrollment of any kind is necessary, but each scapular should be blessed by a priest (general blessing of sacramentals)
- Have confidence in the effects of the scapular: "The greatest graces come from using the scapular but these graces come in direct proportion to the degree of confidence in me which the user has."
- Conversion of those who do not have the faith
- Reconciliation to the Church for those who have lost/strayed from the faith
- Assurance of a happy death
- Strengthening of the faith for those already in the Church
- Protection from Satan for those who wear or promote the scapular
- Society of the Green Scapular
- The Green Scapular and Its Favors by Rev. Father Marie Edouard Mott, C.M.
- Our Lady of the Rosary Library: Green Scapular leaflet
- Free printable images for making Green Scapulars