Green Square railway station
|Distance from Central Station||2.71 km|
|Altitude (above sea level)||? m|
|Types of stopping trains||Suburban all stops
Suburban limited stops
|Number of platforms||2|
|Number of tracks||2|
|Platform arrangement||2 Side|
|Type of station||Underground|
Green Square railway station is an underground station on the Airport branch of the Airport, Inner West & South Line in Sydney, Australia. It is located at Green Square, a complex road intersection at the northern tip of Alexandria. The station is accessible by disabled passengers and is generally staffed, except at later hours of the day.
Green Square was constructed as a commuter station with four levels, of which the lower two, the platforms and station concourse, are publicly accessible. Together with St Peters, it serves the industrial and business areas of Alexandria. The area is predominantly light industrial, with a small amount of high density residential development. Green Square station is at the centre of a mooted "Green Square Town Centre" project that would see much of the area, and nearby Zetland given over to high-density residential and commercial development. This development was considered by the Central Sydney Planning Committee in December 2005.
Like other stations on this line, Green Square was built and is operated by a private company as part of a Public Private Partnership. Before March 2011, station users were required to pay a small access fee ("Gatepass") to use the station. The NSW Government reached an agreement with the station operator to pay the access fees at Green Square and Mascot on behalf of passengers. Patronage increased by around 70% at the two stations in the months following the removal of the fee.
Green Square railway station is featured in the video clip of Marvin Priest's song Own This Club.
Platforms and services
The station serves trains on the Airport, Inner West & South Line. Services runs approximately every 10–15 minutes in each direction.
The station is served by four to six trains per hour each way, with additional trains during weekday peak hours.
|1||all stations services to Central and the City Circle|
|2||all stations and limited stops services to Kingsgrove, Revesby, Glenfield, Campbelltown and Macarthur via the Airport|
Sydney Buses runs four routes via Green Square station:
- Route 309 - north to Circular Quay station via Botany Road, Redfern, Central Station & Elizabeth Street, south to Port Botany via Botany Road, Mascot, Botany, Banksmeadow & Matraville
- Route L09 - north to Redfern station via Botany Road, south to Port Botany via Botany Road, Mascot, Botany, Banksmeadow & Matraville (weekday peak hour service)
- Route 310 - north to Circular Quay station via Botany Road, Redfern, Central Station & Elizabeth Street, south to Eastgardens via Botany Road, Mascot, Botany & Pagewood.
- Route 370 - west to Leichhardt via St Peters, Newtown, Sydney University, Glebe & Annandale, south to Coogee Beach via Waterloo, Rosebery, Kensington, UNSW, Prince of Wales Hospital & Randwick
|Preceding station||Sydney Trains||Following station|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Green Square railway station, Sydney.|
- Green Square on brink of getting kiss of life. Sydney Morning Herald, 15 November 2005.
- Green Square and Mascot commuters to save $17 a week CityRail. 2 March 2011.
- "Budget Estimates Committee hearing transcript". 25 October 2011. p. 11. Retrieved 15 November 2011.