Greene County, Virginia
|Greene County, Virginia|
Greene County Courthouse (Built 1838), in Stanardsville, Virginia
Location in the state of Virginia
Virginia's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Nathanael Greene|
157 sq mi (407 km²)
157 sq mi (407 km²)
0 sq mi (0 km²), 0.25%
98/sq mi (38/km²)
A major incident occurred on October 24, 1979, when a natural gas main ruptured, causing an explosion. The resulting fire destroyed the bell tower of the county courthouse and county office building. However, quick action by the firemen on the scene saved the county records which were secured in the vault.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 156.25 square miles (404.7 km2), of which 0.25% is water.
Adjacent counties 
- Rockingham County, Virginia - west
- Page County, Virginia - northwest
- Madison County, Virginia - northeast
- Orange County, Virginia - southeast
- Albemarle County, Virginia - south
National protected areas 
- Shenandoah National Park (part)
Major highways 
As of the census of 2010, there are 18,403 people, 6,780 households, and 5,072 families residing in the county. The population density is 117.8 people per square mile (38/km²). There are 7,509 housing units at an average density of 48.1 per square mile (15/km²). The racial makeup of the county is 87.6% White, 6.3% Black or African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.45% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander, 0.64% from other races, and 2.2% from two or more races. 4.2% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 6,780 households out of which 32.2% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 59% are married couples living together, 11.1% have a female householder with no husband present, and 25.2% are non-families. 20.1% of all households are made up of individuals and 6.6% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.69 and the average family size is 3.08. The median age for all individuals in the county is 59.3 years.
The median income for a household in the county is $54,307 and median family income is $60,414. The per capita income for the county is $24,696. 8.4% of the population and 4.9% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 8.6% of those under the age of 18 and 11.8% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
- St. George
- Shady Grove
- Simmons Gap
- Upper Pocosin
- Williams Fork
See also 
- Greene County Sheriff's Office
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Greene County, Virginia
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- . Weldon Cooper Center 2010 Census Count Retrieved September 9, 2011
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Greene County Economic Development & Tourism
- Welcome to the County of Greene County, Virginia
- Greene County Record Newspaper
- Local Weather
||Page County||Madison County|
|Albemarle County||Orange County|