Greenfield Township, Fairfield County, Ohio
|Greenfield Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Fairfield County.
|• Total||31.7 sq mi (82.1 km2)|
|• Land||31.7 sq mi (82.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||873 ft (266 m)|
|• Density||156.2/sq mi (60.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086076|
Greenfield Township is one of the thirteen townships of Fairfield County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 4,944 people in the township, 4,465 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Liberty Township - north
- Pleasant Township - east
- Berne Township - southeast corner
- Hocking Township - south
- Amanda Township - southwest corner
- Bloom Township - west
- Violet Township - northwest corner
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- Jacob R. Brandt - bridge builder in the area who lived in the 1800s.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Fairfield County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.