|850 Greenhills Dr.
Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48105
|Type||Independent Middle and Secondary|
|Head of school||Carl Pelofsky|
|Faculty||62 full-time, 16 part-time|
|Grades||6 - 12|
|Number of students||Approximately 500
200+ middle school and
300+ high school.
|Color(s)||Navy and Green|
Awards and recognition
Greenhills Upper School was recognized as one of six national Intel Schools of Distinction in 2007 for excellence as one of the nation's top schools for science. The program recognizes one school for math and one for science in each of three school ranges (elementary, middle and high school).
Admission to Greenhills is competitive. Applicants in the 9th through the 12th grades are required to take the Secondary School Admission Test
Upper school tuition was $19,225 and middle school tuition was $17,865 for the 2010-2011 school year, with 21% of the student body receiving some financial aid. The average for grants was $9,537.
Greenhills offers a comprehensive extracurricular program. It includes clubs such as African-American/Multicultural Focus, Improv Club, The Alcove (student newspaper), The Evergreen (literary magazine), Amnesty International, Chess Club, GIG (Green Initiatives Group), Service Learning, Gay-Straight Alliance, Gryphon Ambassadors, Model UN, Operation Smile, Latino Heritage Club, Asian Infinity and more. Students are also encouraged to start a club of their interest, such as the Harry Potter Club, Magic: The Gathering Club, Horse Club, an a capella Group, an Ultimate (Sport) team, and Photography Club. The school also offers student government programs, including Middle School and High School Student Councils. Each grade within the high school has the four class officer positions: President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary.
Greenhills School is a member of the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) and offers the following sports:
- Boys: tennis, baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, lacrosse, soccer, and track and field
- Girls: tennis, basketball, cross country, field hockey, golf, soccer, softball, track and field, and volleyball
- Coed: equestrian and swimming. However, both the track and cross country teams have co-ed practices.
The Greenhills Varsity Men's Tennis Team has won the Division 4 state championship 6 years in a row.
The Greenhills Varsity Men's Soccer Team have been Division 4 State finalists two years in a row.
The Greenhills Women's Basketball team was the League Champion of the Class C MIAC Red division. February 18, 2011
The Greenhills Varsity Men's Baseball Team were the District Champions. June 2014. The team was coached by John Dudley assisted by, Groff, and Frost. The players were captained by, Clayton Connell, Kyle Nowak, Emmet Kulka and Mike Rorke.
Greenhills School has a set of the performing arts with one play a year for the Middle School and two plays for the Upper School. It also has highly successful forensics teams, which have won the division C-D MIFA states championship many years in a row, and a superb music program that includes an orchestra, a band, and a choir. Greenhills is equipped with a dance room, two music rooms, and a theater.
Greenhills school has begun an expansion project planned to provide an additional 10,000 square feet (930 m2) of space. Much of this space will be used for the sciences, including biology labs and a greenhouse. Of the $6.5 million required for the project, the school has raised $3 million, enough that they began the first phase of construction on 6/9/2009. But lacks any bathrooms in the North side of the building. The proposed renovations also include a geothermal heating and cooling system, allowing the project to be certified as LEED gold certified.
- Fabiano, Giovanna. "Bergen Academies wins national math award", The Record (Bergen County), June 16, 2007. Accessed June 16, 2007.
- Tuition/Financial Aid | Greenhills School
- 2013 NOSB Finals | NOSB
- Greenhills school renovation to put science in spotlight | MLive.com
- Andrew Fetterly Wilkes-Krier - rock musician
- Eugene Kang - Special Assistant to President Barack Obama
- Paul Trapani - Photographer, Los Angeles, CA
- Ernesto Qualizza - Producer, New York, NY
- Kevin Smokler—Author, San Francisco, CA
- Barry Levy- screenwriter
- Jennifer Conlin - frequent New York Times contributor, author
- Nick Phan - opera singer, played lead role of Macbeth with BBC Scottish Symphony
- Elizabeth Meriwether-playwright and screenwriter- "No Strings Attached" And the FOX show "New Girl"
- Rhiannon Thomtishen is leading a campaign to remove Palm Oil from Girl Scout Cookies