Greensboro Roller Derby
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
|Metro area||Greensboro, NC|
|Teams||Gate City Rollergirls (travel team)
Elm Street Nightmares
|Venue||Greensboro Coliseum Complex|
Greensboro Roller Derby is an all-women flat-track roller derby league established in 2010 and based in Greensboro, North Carolina, USA. The league consists of three home teams: the Battleground Betties, the Elm Street Nightmares, and the Mad Dollies. Each home team is named after a prominent street in Greensboro. Additionally, the league maintains a travel team, the Gate City Rollergirls, which competes with travel teams from other leagues.
Greensboro Roller Derby was established early in 2010 by Aubrey "MollyFlogger" Lockard, The initial organizational meeting was held February 21, 2010 in Chumley's Bar in Greensboro, North Carolina, and was attended by over 70 women interested in participating in the league.
The league's mission statement is as follows:
- Greensboro Roller Derby is an all-female, skater owned and operated, Flat Track Derby league that fosters sportswomanship, athleticism, and teamwork. We do not discriminate against race, religion, sexual orientation, or body type. Greensboro Roller Derby strives to make a positive impact on its members, the surrounding community, and the sport of roller derby. Greensboro Roller Derby does not endeavor to be a profit making organization, and hence will work to give any net profit back to the community via donations to charities and non-profit organizations.
Greensboro Roller Derby is not a for-profit organization. The proceeds from each event that go beyond league expenses are donated to a charity selected for that event. The league is in the process of establishing itself as a 501(c)(3) organization.
2010: Debut Bouts
Greensboro Roller Derby's first public bout was held in October, 2010. Since the league had not yet formed its three home teams, the bout was an exhibition bout between two ad hoc teams, the Brains and the Fangs. Two months later, the league held its second bout, titled "Winter Thunderland." This bout was also between two ad hoc teams, the Sugar Plum Scaries and the Nutcrackers.
2011: Inaugural Season
In January 2011, the league formed its travel team and three home teams. In March, the travel team participated in its first interleague bout, competing against U.R.G.E. from South Carolina. The Gate City Rollergirls narrowly defeated U.R.G.E., 135 to 134.
In April, the league held its first intraleague bout, between the Battleground Betties and the Elm Street Nightmares. The Battleground Betties won this bout, 166 to 107.
In May, the Gate City Rollergirls competed in their first out-of-town bout, against the Greenville Derby Dames in Greenville, South Carolina. The Greenville Derby Dames won, 237 to 86.
During the rest of the 2011 season, The Gate City Rollergirls competed in five more bouts against travel teams from around North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. By the end of the season, the three home teams will have competed against each other in six home bouts, including the league's championship bout in December 2011.
In October 2011, one year after the debut bout between the Brains and the Fangs, the league held its first double header bout.
- Christine Maersch, ""Hell on Wheels," The Carolinian [Greensboro, NC], Feb. 17, 2010.
- Eric Ginsburg, "Greensboro Catching On To Roller Derby Trend," The Guilfordian [Greensboro, NC], March 19, 2010.
- "Mission Statement", League Profile
- "WFTDA Accepts 35 Apprentice Leagues", WFTDA, 16 July 2012
- "WFTDA Welcomes First Full Member Leagues in Asia and South America", 6 June 2013
- "Area roller derby teams raise money for charity", News14 Triad