|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|London River Services|
|Locale||River Thames, London, UK|
|Transit type||River bus and tourist/leisure services|
|Owner||London River Services|
|Operator||London River Services|
|London River Services|
|London Transport portal|
The sound of the gangway that connects the pier to the riverbank, moving with the tide. Recorded January 2012.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Greenwich Pier is a pier on the River Thames in the London borough of Greenwich, UK. It is operated by London River Services and called at by various river cruise operators, mostly operating public cruise services to and from Central London. It is currently undergoing major refurbishment and a temporary dock is in place.
Greenwich is a popular tourist destination in London and is now a World Heritage Site. The pier is immediately adjacent to the clipper ship Cutty Sark, the Gypsy Moth IV and the Greenwich Hospital, and within two minutes walk of the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich Park, the Royal Naval College and central Greenwich, with its covered market and shops. Due to its proximity to the Royal Observatory, Greenwich Pier lies just to the west of the Prime Meridian.
Greenwich is a major stop for several river service operating companies, including:
- the Thames commuter catamaran service run by Thames Clipper from Embankment, via Tower Millennium Pier, Canary Wharf and on to the O2 and Woolwich Arsenal Pier
- the Wesminster-Greenwich cruise service by Thames River Services
- the City Cruises tourist cruise via Westminster, Waterloo and Tower piers
Greenwich Pier provides a number of transport interchange possibilities:
- Cutty Sark station (Docklands Light Railway)
- Greenwich station (DLR and National Rail)
- Greenwich Foot Tunnel under the Thames
- Island Gardens DLR station (across the river on the Isle of Dogs)
- 129 between Greenwich and North Greenwich tube station (North Greenwich bus station).
- 177 between Thamesmead town centre and Peckham bus garage.
- 180 between Belvedere industrial estate and Lewisham town centre.
- 188 between Russell Square and North Greenwich tube station.
- 199 between Catford bus garage and Canada Water Station.
- 286 between Greenwich and Sidcup Queen Mary's Hospital.
- Londoncentre and North Greenwich tube station.
- 486 between Bexleyheath shopping centre and North Greenwich tube station
- N1 between Thamesmead town centre and Tottenham Court Road.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Greenwich Pier.|
|Preceding station||London River Services||Following station|
toward Embankment Pier
toward Woolwich Arsenal Pier
toward Westminster Millennium Pier
|Westminster to Greenwich Express Service||Terminus|
|This article about a London building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about transport in London is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|