|City of Greenwood, Indiana|
The Commercial Historic District
Location in the state of Indiana
|• Mayor||Mark W. Myers (R)|
|• Total||21.23 sq mi (54.99 km2)|
|• Land||21.23 sq mi (54.99 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||804 ft (245 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||52,652|
|• Density||2,345.3/sq mi (905.5/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0435464|
Greenwood is a city in Johnson County, Indiana, United States. The population was 49,791 at the 2010 census, and as of 2014 is 50,457. It is home to the Greenwood Park Mall. Greenwood is located between Indiana State Road 37 and Interstate 65, south of, and sharing a border with Indianapolis.
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Schools
- 5 City Parks
- 6 Events
- 7 Community Organizations
- 8 Golf Courses
- 9 "Green"... Cities and Towns in Indiana
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Greenwood was incorporated as a town in 1864.
The first inhabitants of the Greenwood area were the Delaware Indians, but by 1813, Kentucky and Indiana militias dispersed or killed all the Delaware Indians in the area. Greenwood was then first known as "Smocktown" or "Smock's Settlement", and it became "Greenfield" in 1825. Since this clashed with Greenfield of Hancock County, the name was changed to Greenwood.
Some claim the name was in honor of Samuel Greenwood, who platted the community in 1872.
Greenwood is a part of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Service Area.
According to the 2010 census, the city has a total area of 21.23 square miles (55.0 km2), all land.
Local zip codes are 46142, and 46143. In general, 46142 is north of Smith Valley Rd and west of Meridian St (Greenwood), and 46143 is south of Smith Valley Rd, and east of Meridian St (Greenwood).
As of the census of 2010, there were 49,791 people, 19,615 households, and 12,845 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,345.3 inhabitants per square mile (905.5 /km2). There were 21,339 housing units at an average density of 1,005.1 per square mile (388.1 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 91.1% White, 1.7% African American, 0.3% Native American, 3.7% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 2.1% from other races, and 2.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.0% of the population.
There were 19,615 households of which 35.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.2% were married couples living together, 11.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 34.5% were non-families. 27.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.09.
The median age in the city was 34 years. 26.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 29.8% were from 25 to 44; 23.1% were from 45 to 64; and 11.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.4% male and 51.6% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 36,037 people, 14,931 households, and 9,600 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,524.8 people per square mile (975.0/km²). There were 16,042 housing units at an average density of 1,123.9 per square mile (434.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.54% White, 0.44% African American, 0.19% Native American, 1.36% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.69% from other races, and 0.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.91% of the population.
There were 14,931 households out of which 32.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.0% were married couples living together, 9.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.7% were non-families. 29.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.3% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to 24, 32.1% from 25 to 44, 20.7% from 45 to 64, and 12.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 91.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $46,176, and the median income for a family was $57,298. Males had a median income of $40,291 versus $28,936 for females. The per capita income for the city was $23,003. About 4.6% of families and 7.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.5% of those under age 18 and 9.4% of those age 65 or over
- Greenwood Community Middle School
- Southwest Elementary School
- Northeast Elementary School
- V.O. Isom Elementary School
- Westwood Elementary School
- Center Grove Middle School Central
- Center Grove Middle School North
- Center Grove Elementary School
- North Grove Middle School
- Pleasant Grove Middle School
- Sugar Grove Middle School
- Maple Grove Middle School
- Our Lady of Greenwood - Preschool - 8th grade
- St. Francis and Clare Catholic School - Preschool - 8th grade
- Greenwood Christian Academy - K-12
- Suburban Christian School - Preschool - 12th grade
- Greenwood Community Center
- Craig Park
- Westside Park
- Northeast Park
- Northwest Park
- Northwest Annex
- Summerfield Park
- Old City Park
- Trails Park
- City Center Park
- Children's Garden Park
- Woodmen Park
- Surina Square Park
- University Park
- Freedom Park
- Greenwood Community Garden
- Parish Festival
- What: Carnival - "The fair before the fair".
- When: Annually, the first part of June
- Where: Our Lady of Greenwood - at Meridian and Smith Valley Rd
- Freedom Festival
- What: The Summer Festival of Wine, Art, Music & Microbrews
- When: One Saturday in August
- Where: Craig Park
- Greenwood A-Glow - Annual Christmas/Holiday Festival at the
- What: Holiday Celebration: Santa, Reindeer, Carriage Rides, Music
- When: before Christmas
- Where: Greenwood Library
Sertoma Club of Greenwood - Reaching Out to make an impact in your community
Toastmasters - Meets every Friday at 6:45am
"Green"... Cities and Towns in Indiana
- "Places: Indiana". 2010 Census Gazetteer Files. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Branigin, Elba L. (1913). History of Johnson County, Indiana. B. F. Bowen & Company. p. 531.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Greenwood, Indiana.|