Greenwood Village, Colorado
|City of Greenwood Village, Colorado|
|Home Rule Municipality|
Location in Arapahoe County and the State of Colorado
|State||State of Colorado|
|Incorporated||September 19, 1950|
|• Type||Home Rule Municipality|
|• Mayor||Ron Rakowsky|
|• Total||8.1 sq mi (21.0 km2)|
|• Land||8.1 sq mi (21.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||5,422 ft (1,666 m)|
|• Density||1,719.1/sq mi (663.1/km2)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|ZIP codes||80110-80112 & 80121 & 80155 (PO Box)|
|Area code(s)||Both 303 and 720|
|GNIS feature ID||0185037|
|Website||City of Greenwood Village|
The City of Greenwood Village is a Home Rule Municipality located in Arapahoe County, Colorado, United States. The city is a part of the Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of 2010, the city has a total population of 13,925.
The town was named for the Greenwood Ranch.
It was developed during the 1860s when settlers came from the east and mid-west looking for gold. By the early 1900s it had become a farming community.
Greenwood Village is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 8.1 square miles (21 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 11,035 people, 3,997 households, and 3,097 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,361.0 people per square mile (525.4/km²). There were 4,206 housing units at an average density of 518.7 per square mile (200.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 93.90% White, 1.14% African American, 0.19% Native American, 2.55% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.61% from other races, and 1.57% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.12% of the population.
There were 3,997 households out of which 41.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.8% were married couples living together, 5.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.5% were non-families. 17.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.75 and the average family size was 3.15. Greenwood Village resides within the Cherry Creek School District. West Middle School and Campus Middle School feed Cherry Creek High School.
In the city the population was spread out with 29.7% under the age of 18, 5.0% from 18 to 24, 23.9% from 25 to 44, 32.3% from 45 to 64, and 9.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 100.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $116,147, and the median income for a family was $145,802. Males had a median income of $99,088 versus $41,991 for females. The per capita income for the city was $69,189. About 1.5% of families and 1.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.1% of those under age 18 and 4.1% of those age 65 or over. To compare, the average US income for 2000 was $48,476. This places Greenwood Village #31 for highest income places in the United States with a population of at least 10,000.
Educational Background for population 25 years and over in Greenwood Village:
- High school or higher: 98.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 72.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 31.2%
- Unemployed: 2.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Greenwood Village city
- Never married: 21.4%
- Now married: 66.5%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 2.6%
- Divorced: 8.5%
8.3% Foreign born (2.8% Europe, 2.5% Latin America, 1.6% Asia, 1.1% North America).
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
Greenwood Village includes part of the Denver Technological Center. Companies currently based in Greenwood Village, CO:
- American Medical Response
- Newmont Mining
- Red Robin
- RMR Colorado, LLC (Black-eyed Pea Colorado restaurants)
- Weather Nation TV 
- Xanterra Parks and Resorts
Companies that were based in Greenwood Village, CO:
According to the City's 2011 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the top employers in the city are:
|#||Employer||# of Employees|
|1||FASCore||1,000 - 1,500|
|2||Cigna||1,000 - 1,500|
|3||Great West Life & Annuity Insurance||500 - 1,000|
|4||Comcast||500 - 1,000|
|5||tw telecom||500 - 1,000|
|6||Newmont||500 - 1,000|
|7||Travelers||500 - 1,000|
|8||CoBank||500 - 1,000|
|9||Cherry Creek School District||500 - 1,000|
|10||TriZetto||200 - 500|
|11||Cricket Wireless||200 - 500|
|12||First Data||200 - 500|
|13||First Data Technologies||200 - 500|
|14||King Soopers||200 - 500|
|15||Thomson Reuters||200 - 500|
|16||Wells Fargo||200 - 500|
- Cherry Creek School District is based in Greenwood Village.
- Metropolitan State University of Denver has a satellite campus.
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- "Active Colorado Municipalities". State of Colorado, Department of Local Affairs. Retrieved 2007-12-06.
- "Colorado Municipal Incorporations". State of Colorado, Department of Personnel & Administration, Colorado State Archives. 2004-12-01. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "Profile for Greenwood Village, Colorado, CO". ePodunk. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "Our Village, Our History". City of Greenwood Village. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Home page. Black-eyed Pea Colorado. Retrieved on April 16, 2014. "RMR Colorado, LLC Greenwood Village, CO 80111"
- "RMR Colorado, LLC." Black-eyed Pea Colorado. Retrieved on April 16, 2014. "5347 South Valentia Way Suite 305 Greenwood Village, CO 80111-3107 United States"
- "Contact Us." First Data. June 19, 2000. Retrieved on December 9, 2009.
- "City Boundary Map." City of Greenwood Village. Retrieved on December 9, 2009.
- McGaw, Renee. "First Data moving HQ to Atlanta." Denver Business Journal. Friday August 14, 2009. Retrieved on December 9, 2009.
- City of Greenwood Village CAFR