||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
Boyle earned his BA in English from Gonzaga University, an MA in English from Loyola Marymount University, a Master of Divinity from the Weston School of Theology, and a Sacred Theology Masters degree from the Jesuit School of Theology.
Before founding Homeboy Industries, Father Greg taught at Loyola High School and worked with Christian Base Communities in Cochabamba, Bolivia. He was appointed as Pastor of Dolores Mission in the Boyle Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles in 1986 where he served through 1992. Following this, Fr. Greg spent time as Chaplain of the Islas Marias Penal Colony in Mexico and Folsom Prison, before returning to Los Angeles and Dolores Mission.
Fr. Greg is also a consultant to youth service and governmental agencies, policy-makers and employers. Fr. Boyle serves as a member of the National Gang Center Advisory Board (U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention). He is also a member of the Advisory Board for the Loyola Law School Center for Juvenile Law and Policy in Los Angeles.
In 2010, Father Boyle's Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion, a book recollecting his 20+ years in the barrio, was published. It received rave blurbs from many, ranging from human rights activists like Kerry Kennedy to actor Martin Sheen.
- "Priest Fights Gangs With 'Boundless Compassion'" Interview with Terry Gross on Fresh Air conducted May 19, 2010, broadcast May 20, 2010; the birthday, and the delayed broadcast date, were mentioned in the audio only. Retrieved 2010-05-20.
- Profile from official website, www.homeboy-industries.org
- "Priest Fights Gangs With 'Boundless Compassion'" Interview with Terry Gross on Fresh Air, May 20, 2010; book excerpt on Web site; published by Free Press, a division of Simon & Schuster Inc. Retrieved 2010-05-20.
- Simon & Schuster page, Tattoos on the Heart "Praise" section. Retrieved 2010-05-20.
- "Father Gregory Boyle". California Museum. 9 Sep 2011.
- "8th Annual César Chávez Convocation". UC Santa Cruz Campus Events Calendar. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- Father Greg's profile at Homeboy Industries
- St. Anthony Messenger
- Los Angeles City Beat Interview
- University of Detroit Mercy
- El padre y los homies, an audio documentary about Father Boyle and Homeboy Industries
- Tattoos on the Heart Amazon.com listing
- Fresh Air interview with Terry Gross, 20 May 2010
- On Point interview with Tom Ashbrook, recorded May 13, 2011; broadcast May 16, 2011