Greg Davis (American football)
April 25, 1951 |
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Barbe HS (LA) (Assistant)
PNG HS (TX) (Assistant)
Texas A&M (QB)
North Carolina (OC/QB)
|Head coaching record|
|Accomplishments and honors|
|Broyles Award (2005)|
Greg Davis (born April 25, 1951) is an American college football coach. He currently serves as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the University of Iowa Hawkeyes football team. He served as offensive coordinator for the 2005 Texas Longhorns national championship, where he was awarded the Broyles Award for the nation's top assistant coach for the 2005 season.
Davis attended Port Neches–Groves High School and then played quarterback at McNeese State University, where he first met R. C. Slocum. He played in the Grantland Rice Bowl in 1971, losing to Tennessee State 26–23. He graduated from McNeese State in 1973.
Davis started his coaching career as a quarterbacks/receivers coach at Barbe High School in Lake Charles, Louisiana. He served two seasons there, and then went on to become the quarterbacks coach for two seasons at Port Neches-Groves High School, his high school alma mater. He began his college coaching career as the quarterbacks coach under Tom Wilson and Jackie Sherrill at Texas A&M University. He was a part-time assistant at A&M in 1978, and then was named a full-time coach in 1979. He worked alongside Slocum, who then served as the defensive coordinator.
Davis later became an assistant under Mack Brown at Tulane University, and succeeded Brown as Tulane head coach in 1988. Following stints at the University of Georgia and the University of Arkansas, Davis rejoined Brown's coaching staff at North Carolina, before following him to Texas in 1998.
However, on December 6, 2010, after the worst season in the Mack Brown era at the University of Texas, Greg Davis resigned as offensive coordinator of the Longhorns. The 2010 season was the first season in 13 years the Longhorns failed to make a bowl game, and the first in nine seasons the Longhorns failed to reach 10 wins on the season.
After a year out of football, Davis was hired by Iowa for the 2012 season.
Head coaching record
|Tulane Green Wave (NCAA Division I-A independent) (1988–1991)|
- Lane (1982), p. 22.
- "Broyles Award". Archived from the original on 2006-12-06. Retrieved 2007-01-17.
- Bohls, Kirk (November 3, 2006). "It's time to give credit to Greg Davis - Longhorns have best offensive coordinator in Big 12" (PDF). Austin American-Statesman. Retrieved 2011-01-11.
- Halliburton, Suzanne (November 27, 1998). "Aggie friend and foe". Austin American-Statesman. Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- Austin American-Statesman: Davis to make $425,000, matching pay of Muschamp
- Lane, Oliver (1982). The 1982 Maroon Book: Texas Aggie Football. Dallas, Texas: Taylor Publishing Company. ISBN 0-87833-328-2.
|Texas Longhorns offensive coordinator
|Iowa Hawkeyes offensive coordinator