|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (February 2013)|
Gregory (Greg) Dawes (born 1957) is a distinguished professor of Latin American Studies at North Carolina State University. He has written on Latin American studies and literary theory and is the editor of A Contracorriente, an online academic journal dedicated to approaching social history and Latin American literature from a left-wing perspective, and managing editor of Editorial A Contracorriente, the Journal's publishing spin-off.
Personal information and education
Dawes received his B.A. and M.A. in Spanish from the University of Northern Iowa. He received his Ph.D. in Romance Languages and Literature with a concentration in Latin American Literature from the University of Washington.
Dawes is a Marxist who believes in democratic socialism. His classes are on twentieth-century Latin American literature and culture and literary theory. He teaches courses on the culture of Chile during the Popular Unity government in Chile, the 60s in Latin America, the Latin American avant-garde, and on Latin American poetry. He has published articles and books on Latin American poetry, particularly on Pablo Neruda, Octavio Paz, Vicente Huidobro, César Vallejo, Ernesto Cardenal, Mario Benedetti, among others.
His publications include:
- Aesthetics and Revolution: Nicaraguan Poetry, 1979-1990. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1993. ISBN 0-8166-2146-2.
- Verses Against the Darkness: Pablo Neruda’s Poetry and Politics. Lewisburg: Bucknell University Press, 2006. ISBN 0-8387-5643-3.
- Mario Benedetti, escritor uruguayo contemporáneo: estudios sobre su compromiso literario y político / Mario Benedetti, Contemporary Uruguayan Author: Studies on His Literary and Political Commitments. Lewiston: Edwin Mellen Press, 2008. ISBN 0-7734-5202-8.
- Poetas ante la modernidad: las ideas estéticas y políticas de Huidobro, Vallejo, Neruda y Paz. Madrid: Editorial Fundamentos, 2009. ISBN 84-245-1193-X.
Multiforme y comprometido. Neruda después de 1956. Santiago de Chile: RIL Editores, 2015.
- Greg Dawes' academic homepage at NC State University
- Homepage of A Contracorriente
- Homepage of Editorial A Contracorriente
- "En torno al Realismo y al Vanguardismo en las Residencias," conference presentation at Pablo Neruda Foundation, Santiago, Chile, October 2009
|This article about a United States writer of non-fiction is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|