No. 76 Carolina Panthers
|Date of birth:July 28, 1988|
|Place of birth: Millington, Tennessee|
|High school: Memphis (TN) Briarcrest|
|NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: 6 / Pick: 175|
|Debuted in 2010 for the Carolina Panthers|
|Roster status: Franchise Tag|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2013
Gregory McKarl Hardy (born July 28, 1988), nicknamed The Kraken, is an American football defensive end for the Carolina Panthers. He was drafted by the Panthers in the sixth round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at Ole Miss.
Hardy formerly played with offensive lineman Michael Oher at both Briarcrest Christian School in Memphis, Tennessee and Ole Miss. Hardy was considered a three-star prospect by Rivals.com and ranked 30th among weakside defensive end prospects in 2006.
Hardy was considered one of the best pass rushers eligible for the 2009 NFL Draft but he elected to return to Ole Miss for a senior season. He underwent surgery on a broken bone in his right foot during the off-season but was ready for the 2009 season.
Hardy had 38.5 career tackles for loss and 26.5 sacks, which included a best in the SEC 10.0 sacks in 2007.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 4 in||281 lb||4.79 s||1.67 s||2.82 s||4.62 s||7.13 s||36 in||10 ft 1 in||21 reps||x|
|All values from Mississippi Pro Day|
In April 2009 Sports Illustrated, Hardy was named the top prospect for the 2010 NFL Draft. However injuries, poor production, and an unimpressive combine, caused his draft stock to fall significantly.
Hardy was selected by the Carolina Panthers in the sixth round (175th overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. He was signed to a contract on June 17, 2010. Hardy managed to record a blocked punt for a safety as well as force a fumble and record 4 tackles in his rookie debut.
Although Hardy had played in 15 games his rookie year, he had started none. He did however, finish the year with 30 tackles, 3 sacks, two forced fumbles, and the aforementioned safety.
Hardy recorded 11 sacks in a stellar 2012 campaign in spite of sustaining a broken thumb in September.
On June 11, 2013, Hardy spoke to reporters during a summer minicamp claiming his goal for sacks in the 2013 season to be 50. Regarding such a lofty number, more than twice the current record, Hardy stated, "Why shoot low, right? If I'm going to shoot at it, I'm going to shoot at it with a 50 caliber. I'm going to shoot at a little bird with a 50-caliber bullet. That's the goal for this year, 50 sacks, that's where I'm at. That's the goal, 50. You heard it first.".
In a road victory against the Atlanta Falcons, Hardy finished with a single game team record four sacks. He ended up recording a team-record 15 sacks, earning his first trip to the 2014 Pro Bowl and being named a second-team All Pro by the Associated Press. The Panthers defense finished first in the NFL with 60 sacks in 2013, second in points per game, and third in DVOA team defense.
Set to become a free agent during the 2014 offseason, it was announced on February 28, 2014, that the Panthers had placed the franchise tag on Hardy, allowing him to return to the field for them during the 2014 season. He was ranked 53rd in the NFL Top 100 for his breakout performance in the 2013 NFL Season.
- Tied with Kevin Greene.
- "ESPN Profile". ESPN.com.
- . panthers.com http://www.panthers.com/team/roster/greg-hardy/b904c473-e639-4e74-800f-039a2c861348/. Missing or empty
- "Weakside defensive ends 2006". Rivals.com. 2006-01-30. Retrieved 2009-04-29.
- "Defensive End Greg Hardy Returning to School". ESPN. January 15, 2009.
- "Greg Hardy Undergoes Successful Foot Surgery". SI.com. January 22, 2009.[dead link]
- NFLDRAFT Scout.com
- "Greg Hardy, Taylor Mays are top 2010 NFL Draft prospects". Sports Illustrated. April 28, 2009.
- "DE Hardy, S Pugh, CB McClain signed". panthers.com. June 17, 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- kffl.com. September 25, 2012 http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=812876-panthers---several-players-expected-to-return
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- "Fines roundup: Michael Vick of Eagles docked for low block". National Football League. 2012-11-09. Retrieved 2012-11-09.
- "Greg Hardy targets 50 sacks in '13". ESPN.com. June 11, 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- Newton, David. "Greg Hardy gets franchise tag". ESPN.com. Retrieved 28 February 2014.