Greg Lee (basketball)
Lee shooting with UCLA in 1972–73
December 12, 1951|
|Listed height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Listed weight||190 lb (86 kg)|
|High school||Raseda (Reseda, California)|
|NBA draft||1974 / Round: 7 / Pick: 115th overall|
|Selected by the Atlanta Hawks|
|1974–1975||San Diego Conquistadors|
|1975–1976||Portland Trail Blazers|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Gregory Scott Lee (born December 12, 1951) is a retired American basketball player. He was the starting point guard on back to back NCAA championship teams at UCLA in 1972 and 1973. He then played two seasons of professional basketball: one in the original American Basketball Association and one in the National Basketball Association.
Lee, a 6'3" guard from Reseda High School in Reseda, California, played for UCLA from 1971 to 1974. He was a three-year starter at guard for the Bruins, and won two championships in 1972 and 1973. Prior to joining the varsity team, Lee (17.9 ppg), along with Keith Wilkes (20.0 ppg) and Bill Walton (18.1, 68.6 per cent), was a member of the 20–0 UCLA Freshman team.
After his collegiate career ended, Lee was drafted by both the NBA and ABA. The Atlanta Hawks drafted him in the seventh round (115th pick overall) of the 1974 NBA Draft and the San Diego Conquistadors drafted him in the fifth round of the ABA Draft the same year. He chose the Conquistadors, averaging 3.6 points and 2.6 assists in five games. The next season he moved to the NBA, appearing in five games for the Portland Trail Blazers and averaging 1.2 points and 2.2 assists. He was also an accomplished beach volleyball player on the professional circuit.
Lee became a high school coach and teacher in California after his playing days were over.
- 2010-11 UCLA men's basketball media guide, accessed August 4, 2011
- 1972 Official Collegiate Basketball Guide, College Athletics Publishing Service, 1971
- , accessed August 4, 2011
- Mike Reilley (August 14, 1992). "On the beach: Menges, Lee recall a different era". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 4, 2011.
- National Basketball Association portal
- Media related to Greg Lee (basketball) at Wikimedia Commons
- Career statistics and player information from Basketball-Reference.com
- Beach Volleyball Profile at the Beach Volleyball Database