November 25, 1964 |
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|North Dakota (asst.)
North Dakota State
|Accomplishments and honors|
MVC Regular Season Championship (2013)
MVC Tournament Championship (2004, 2012, 2013)
Greg McDermott (born November 25, 1964) has served as the head coach of the Creighton University Bluejays men's basketball team since April 26, 2010. Previously McDermott has served as head coach at Wayne State, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, and Iowa State. He is the father of college player Doug McDermott.
McDermott began his coaching career as an assistant coach at North Dakota between 1989 and 1994, and during his tenure helped lead the Fighting Sioux to five consecutive NCAA Division II tournaments. On March 29, 1994, he accepted his first head coaching position at Division II Wayne State College. McDermott remained as the head coach at Wayne State for six seasons and compiled an overall record of 116 wins and 53 (116–53) during his tenure there from 1994 to 2000. In April 2000, McDermott resigned his Wayne State post and accepted the head coaching position at North Dakota State. In his lone season with the State, he led the Bison to an overall record of 15 wins and 11 losses (15–11) en route to an eighth place finish in the North Central Conference. On April 3, 2001, McDermott was introduced as the new head coach at his alma mater, Northern Iowa.
McDermott remained as the Panthers' head coach for five season between 2001 and 2006. During his tenure he led Northern Iowa to an overall record of 90 wins and 63 losses (90–63), the 2004 Missouri Valley Conference tournament championship, and to appearances in the 2004, 2005, and 2006 NCAA Tournaments. He officially resigned his position with Northern Iowa on March 21, 2006, and accepted the same one at Iowa State. McDermott remained as the Cyclones' head coach for four season between 2007 and 2010, and during his tenure led them to an overall record of 59 wins and 68 losses (59–68). His marquee victory at Iowa State came on March 6, 2010, against No. 5 Kansas State. This was his only victory over a ranked team while with the Cyclones. On April 26, 2010, he resigned from Iowa State and accepted the same position at Creighton. The contract with Creighton was a reported ten-year deal, worth well over one million dollars per season.
In His first season with the Bluejays, McDermott led the team to the finals of the 2011 College Basketball Invitational where they lost to Oregon. In just his second year "On the Hilltop" McDermott led Creighton to the MVC conference tournament championship, the 3rd round of the NCAA Tournament, were ranked as high as No. 12 in the nation, and finished sixth nationally in home attendance.
Head coaching record
|Wayne State (Division II Independent) (1994–1998)|
|Wayne State (Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference) (1999–2000)|
|Wayne State:||116–53 (.686)||15–3 (.833)|
|North Dakota State (North Central Conference) (2000–2001)|
|2000–2001||North Dakota State||15–11||7–11||8th|
|North Dakota State:||15–11 (.577)||7–11 (.389)|
|Northern Iowa (Missouri Valley Conference) (2001–2006)|
|2003–2004||Northern Iowa||21–10||12–6||T–2nd||NCAA First Round|
|2004–2005||Northern Iowa||21–11||11–7||T–3rd||NCAA First Round|
|2005–2006||Northern Iowa||23–10||11–7||T–5th||NCAA First Round|
|Northern Iowa:||90–63 (.588)||49–41 (.544)|
|Iowa State (Big 12 Conference) (2006–2010)|
|Iowa State:||59–68 (.465)||18–46 (.281)|
|Creighton (Missouri Valley Conference) (2010–2013)|
|2011–2012||Creighton||29–6||14–4||2nd||NCAA Third Round|
|2012–2013||Creighton||28–8||13–5||1st||NCAA Third Round|
|Creighton (Big East Conference) (2013–present)|
|Creighton:||101–34 (.748)||48–19 (.716)|
- "McDermott leaves UND to be head coach at Wayne". Grand Forks Herald (Newsbank). March 29, 1994. p. 3D. Retrieved March 17, 2013.
- "McDermott gets 'dream job' at UNI". The Telegraph-Herald (Google News Archives). April 4, 2001. p. 1B. Retrieved March 17, 2013.
- "Bison name McDermott head coach". Grand Forks Herald (Newsbank). April 8, 2000. p. 3D. Retrieved March 17, 2013.
- "2012–13 North Dakota State Men's Basketball Media Guide" (PDF). NDSU Athletic Media Relations Office. 2012. p. 72. Retrieved March 17, 2013.
- "Iowa State hires N. Iowa coach McDermott". ESPN.com. ESPN.com news services. March 22, 2006. Retrieved March 17, 2013.
- "Creighton hires McDermott". ESPN.com. Associated Press. April 26, 2010. Retrieved March 17, 2013.
- "Greg McDermott leaves for Creighton". April 26, 2010. Retrieved March 17, 2013.
- "E. J. Singler hits game-winning shot to lift Oregon to CBI championship". ESPN.com. Associated Press. April 1, 2011. Retrieved March 17, 2013.
- "John Henson returns to spark UNC past Creighton". ESPN.com. Associated Press. March 18, 2012. Retrieved March 17, 2013.