Greg Weisman (born September 28, 1963 in Los Angeles, California) is an American comic book and animation writer and producer, best known as the creator of Gargoyles and as the Supervising Producer of The Spectacular Spider-Man. Most recently, Weisman worked as producer on Young Justice animated series. In addition, Weisman wrote the script for DC Showcase: Green Arrow, an animated short feature that is included on the DVD for the film, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. His first novel, Rain of the Ghosts was announced and is to be released on December 3, 2013. It has also been announced that he will be an Executive Producer on the new Star Wars Rebels animated series, alongside Dave Filoni and Simon Kinberg.
Weisman is a former English composition and writing teacher and received degrees at Stanford University and USC. During an interview done during Comic-Con International 2010, Weisman revealed that while 22 years old, he wrote a four issue mini-series for DC Comics starring the superheroine Black Canary. The first issue of the series was penciled, but the project was ultimately shelved due to the character being used in writer/artist Mike Grell's high profile Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters series. Elements from the ill-fated project were used for his DC Showcase: Green Arrow short film.
In addition to developing and showrunning the popular series Gargoyles, the second season of W.I.T.C.H. and The Spectacular Spider-Man, Weisman has written for numerous animated series, including Men in Black: The Series, Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles, and Kim Possible. Weisman wrote the series bible for Max Steel and produced the show's first season. Weisman voice directs and voice acts on occasion; he played the role of Donald Menken on The Spectacular Spider-Man and Lucas Snapper Carr on Young Justice.
Weisman is notable for the question and answer forum he participates in with Gargoyles fans online, often revealing his intended plans for the show.
Weisman has also written for comics, including Gargoyles, a continuation of the storyline from the television series. Weisman was not new to comics, having spent time at DC as an editor and co-writing Captain Atom with Cary Bates. A parody of Gargoyles later appeared in a Weisman-penned story in JLA Showcase #1.
He also directed the 2001 English dub localization of the 1991–1996 Japanese anime OVA series 3x3 Eyes. He used voice talents who previously worked with him on Gargoyles. Homages to Gargoyles in the OVA series include a homeless man humming the Gargoyles theme song and a character who says "What could make claw marks in solid stone?"
Influences and style
Weisman has been a great lover of the works of William Shakespeare. Many of his works have been influenced by Shakespeare by not only using Shakespeare character names but often similar storytelling. This includes: Macbeth, The Weird Sisters, Oberon, Titania and Puck. All characters from Gargoyles are loosely based on characters from Shakespeare's work. The penultimate episode of the Spectacular Spider-Man, "Opening Night", had a majority of the characters acting out a stage rendition of a Midsummer Night's Dream, which interchanged with scenes of Spider-Man escaping the Vault prison and subsequently fighting the Green Goblin.
Weisman has written episodes for the following TV shows:
- "Video Wars"
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
- "Star Crossed"
- "The Clone Rangers"
- The Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot
- "Out of Whack"
- Max Steel
- Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles
- "Funeral for a Friend"
- "Liquid Dreams"
- Atlantis: Milo's Return
- "The Last" (He also voice directed Atlantis 2)
- Kim Possible
- "Queen Bebe"
- "Big Bother"
- Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!
- "The Circus of Ooze"
- "The Hunt for The Citadel of Bone"
- The Batman
- "The Big Chill"
- "The Rubber Face of Comedy Part 1"
- "The Clayface of Tragedy Part 2"
- "Strange Minds"
- "The Everywhere Man"
- Men in Black: The Series
- "The Elle of My Dreams Syndrome" (A.K.A. The Big Sleep Syndrome)
- "The Black Guard Syndrome" (co-written with his brother, Jon Weisman)
- "The Big Bad Bug Syndrome"
- "The Star System Syndrome"
- Ben 10
- "Ben 10,000"
- "Under Wraps"
- "Ken 10"
- Legion of Super Heroes
- "Man From the Edge of Tomorrow, Part 2"
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold
- "Death Race to Oblivion!"
- "Requiem for a Scarlet Speedster!"
- "Powerless!" (story idea only)
- Young Justice
- "Independence Day"
- "Auld Acquaintance"
- "Happy New Year"
- "The Fix"
- Transformers: Prime
- "Plus One"
- DC Animated Showcase: Greg Weisman Interview, Part 1 – YouTube
- Wells, John "Failure to Launch: The Black Canary Miniseries That Never Took Flight" Back Issue #46 (February 2011) TwoMorrows Publishing p.45–52
- Search Ask Greg : Gargoyles : Station Eight
- 10 – Ask Greg Archives : Gargoyles : Station Eight