Gregg and Greg are surnames of English or Scottish origin. In England, they are variant forms of the surname Gregory. The surnames are first recorded as Gregge in 1234, within the Liber feodorum, a document compiled in the reign of Henry II of England. Another early instance of the name is Gregge, recorded in 1306, witin the Feet of Fines (for Essex); and as Greggez in 1504, within the Register of the Freemen of the City of York.
Gregg as a Scottish surname, a variant of the Scottish Clan MacGregor.
People with the surname Gregg
- Alan Gregg, New Zealand musician
- Alexander W. Gregg (1855–1919), U.S Representative from Texas
- Allan Gregg, Canadian political advisor and pundit
- Andrew Gregg (1755–1835), U.S. Representative and Senator from Pennsylvania
- Clark Gregg (born 1962), film and television actor and writer
- David Gregg, multiple people
- Donald Gregg, U.S. Ambassador to South Korea (1989–1993)
- Eric Gregg, Major League Baseball umpire (1975–1999)
- Forrest Gregg (born 1933), Member, Professional Football Hall of Fame
- Frank Carl Gregg, served during the Cold War as a Sergeant in the US Army in Cryptographics and received the Cold War Recognition Certificate from Robert Gates, Secretary of Defense. He married, Jacquelyn, a descendant of Silas W. Boynton and John Boynton.
- F. Richard Gregg, MStJ, son of Frank Carl Gregg and Jacquelyn Gregg, served as a 1st Lt. in the US Air Force Aux. and was awarded the Exceptional Service Award and the Disaster Relief Ribbon for his service during Presidentially declared disaster, Hurricane Sandy. He was appointed by Queen Elizabeth II to the Order of St. John, a Royal Order of Chivalry.
- Hugh Gregg (1917–2003), Governor from New Hampshire
- James M. Gregg (1806–1869), U.S. Representative from Indiana
- John Gregg (1828–1864), American Civil War Confederate general
- John Irvin Gregg (1826–1892), American Civil War Union commander, cousin of David Gregg
- John Robert Gregg (1867–1948), the creator of the eponymous shorthand system Gregg Shorthand
- Judd Gregg (born 1947), Governor and U.S. Senator from New Hampshire
- Maxcy Gregg (1814–1862), American Civil War Confederate general
- Milton Fowler Gregg (1892–1978), Canadian First World War Victoria Cross recipient and Member of Canadian Parliamenter
- Randy Gregg (ice hockey), former Canadian ice hockey player
- Randy Gregg (musician), American hard rock musician
- Richard Bartlett Gregg (1885–1974), American philosopher, pacifist, and friend of Mahatma Gandhi
- Stephen Wayne Gregg (born 1959) Technologist, Founder Information Technology Solutions, TimePlus, Apex Software Technologies, Apex Payroll
- Tommy Gregg (born 1963), Major League Baseball player
- William Gregg (industrialist) (1800–1867), Founder of the pioneer Graniteville, South Carolina textile mill
- William Gregg (soldier) (1890–1962), British First World War Victoria Cross recipient
People with the surname Greg
- Percy Greg, English writer
- Robert Hyde Greg, English industrialist and economist
- Samuel Greg, English entrepreneur
- Samuel Greg (junior), English industrialist and philanthropist
- William Rathbone Greg, English essayist
- W. W. Greg, English bibliographer and Shakespeare scholar
- "What's in a name?". www.ancestry.com. Retrieved 8 December 2009.
- Reaney, Percy Hilde; Wilson, Richard Middlewood (2006). A Dictionary of English Surnames (pdf) (3rd ed.). London: Routledge. p. 1413. ISBN 0-203-99355-1.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Greg, Gregg. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|