Wallace judging at "MasterChef Live" in 2010
|Born||Gregg Allan Wallace
17 October 1964
Elephant & Castle, South London, England
|Occupation||Broadcaster, writer, entrepreneur|
|Home town||Whitstable, Kent, England|
Gregg Allan Wallace (born 17 October 1964) is an English television presenter best known for co-presenting MasterChef, Celebrity MasterChef and MasterChef: The Professionals on BBC One and BBC Two. He is also a writer, media personality and former greengrocer, costermonger and farmer. He has jokingly referred to himself as "just the fat, bald bloke on MasterChef who likes pudding".
Wallace began his career selling vegetables at a stand in Covent Garden. In 1989, he started George Allan’s Greengrocers, a company that built up to an eventual turnover of £7.5 million. Based on his business success, Wallace was invited to co-present Veg Talk on BBC Radio 4 with Charlie Hicks for seven years.
In 2010, Wallace opened the restaurant 'Wallace & Co' in Putney where he serves as one of the directors. In 2012, he opened 'Gregg's Bar & Grill' in a joint venture with the Bermondsey Square Hotel in Bermondsey Square.
In August 2013, it was reported that one of Wallace's companies, West Veg Limited, had folded, owing more than £500,000.
Wallace was the original presenter of Saturday Kitchen from 2002 until being replaced by Antony Worrall Thompson in 2003. Wallace also presented Veg Out for the Discovery Channel, and Follow That Tomato for The Food Channel, resulting in a Royal Television Society award for Best Lifestyle Programme in 2003. Since 2005, he has been co-presenter and judge of BBC cooking show MasterChef with John Torode.
In August 2013, Wallace presented Supermarket Secrets, a BBC One programme about supermarket food sourcing and distribution, and in September 2013, he co-presented Harvest 2013, a three-part documentary following the progress of Britain's vegetable, cereal and fruit harvests.
Strictly Come Dancing
In September 2014 Wallace was a contestant on the twelfth series of BBC's Strictly Come Dancing, partnered with professional Aliona Vilani. In the first week Wallace danced a Cha-cha-cha to Katy Perry's "Hot n Cold". During the judges' comments, Wallace joked about the lack of success shown by Craig Revel Horwood in a previous series of Celebrity Masterchef. He left the show in the second week, after the first public vote, when the Waltz danced by Jennifer Gibney and Tristan MacManus was preferred by the judges to Vilani and Wallace's Charleston.
Wallace has been married and divorced three times. He has two teenage children from his second marriage, Tom and Libby.
Wallace married second wife Denise, a former pastry chef, in 1999 and they had two children together. They split in 2004 and Wallace got full custody of the children. Wallace met his third wife Heidi, a teacher from Cumbria who is 17 years his junior, in 2009 after she asked him a question about celery and pollock on Twitter. Giving up her job as a biology teacher at Ullswater Community College in Penrith, the couple married in 2010. They are divorced, with Wallace splitting his time between London and the family home in Whitstable, Kent where he lives with his two children.
- "The Independent - 5 minute interview". The Independent.
- Manenti, Kyla (21 January 2011). "Gregg Wallace: the bald, fat thug on Masterchef". iVillage.
- Rebecca Hardy (13 April 2012). "Marriage doesn’t get tougher than this! MasterChef’s Gregg Wallace and his wife of 15 months reveal why she's had to leave him". London: Daily Mail. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- Huffington Post''
- BBC - Food - TV and radio
- Lueck, Marianne (20 November 2008). "Pinch helps discount supermarkets". BBC News.
- Farnham, Jacqui (29 June 2009). "Recession bites into eating habits". BBC News.
- "Gregg Wallace". BBC. 22 August 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "The Great British Bake Off: An Extra Slice on BBC2 tonight with Jo Brand, Gregg Wallace, Paul Rankin & Roisin Conaty". Scunthorpe Telegraph.
- Dowell, Ben (5 October 2014). "ctly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace is first celebrity to leave the show". Radio Times. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "Gregg Wallace". United Agents. 2010-08-02. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "It doesn't get any tougher than this": MasterChef judge Gregg Wallace splits up with his third wife after just 14 months". Daily Mirror. 18 March 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "MasterChef judge Gregg Wallace 'involved in brawl'". BBC News. 19 August 2013.