Gregory County, South Dakota
|Gregory County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|• Total||1,053 sq mi (2,728 km2)|
|• Land||1,016 sq mi (2,631 km2)|
|• Water||38 sq mi (97 km2), 3.26%|
|• Density||2/sq mi (1/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,054 square miles (2,729.8 km2), of which 1,015 square miles (2,630 km2) is land and 39 square miles (100 km2) (3.56%) is water.
- Lyman County, South Dakota - north
- Charles Mix County, South Dakota - east
- Boyd County, Nebraska - south
- Keya Paha County, Nebraska - southwest
- Tripp County, South Dakota - west
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,792 people, 2,022 households, and 1,290 families residing in the county. The population density was 5 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 2,405 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 93.18% White, 0.04% Black or African American, 5.59% Native American, 0.23% Asian, 0.10% from other races, and 0.86% from two or more races. 0.86% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 50.0% were of German, 7.9% Czech, 6.3% Irish, 5.7% American and 5.5% English ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 2,022 households out of which 26.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.20% were married couples living together, 5.70% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.20% were non-families. 33.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 20.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.32 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the county, the population was spread out with 24.30% under the age of 18, 5.10% from 18 to 24, 22.00% from 25 to 44, 23.80% from 45 to 64, and 24.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 94.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.90 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $22,732, and the median income for a family was $30,833. Males had a median income of $21,063 versus $16,920 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,656. About 15.10% of families and 20.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.50% of those under age 18 and 20.60% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- Bonesteel (Population:275)
- Burke (Population:604)
- Dallas (Population:120)
- Fairfax (Population:115)
- Gregory (Population:1,295)
- Herrick (Population:105)
- St. Charles (Population:11)
The county is divided into thirteen townships: Burke, Carlock, Dickens, Dixon, Edens, Ellston, Fairfax, Jones, Landing Creek, Pleasant Valley, Star Valley, and Whetstone; and four areas of unorganized territory: East Gregory, North Gregory, Southeast Gregory, and Spring Valley.
National Register of Historic Places sites
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: South Dakota". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
|Tripp County||Charles Mix County|
|Keya Paha County, Nebraska||Boyd County, Nebraska|