Gregory Maass & Nayoungim
|Gregory Maass & Nayoungim|
Ink drawing showing Gregory Maass (top) and Nayoungim (bottom)
|Born||Gregory Stephan Maass (or Maaß) and Kim Nayoung
April 29, 1967 Hagen, Germany (Gregory Maass) and March 13, 1966 Seoul, South-Korea (Nayoungim)
Gregory Maass, born 29 April 1967 in Hagen, Germany and Nayoungim (sometimes referred to as Kim Nayoung Hangul 김 나영 ) born 13 March 1966 in Seoul, South-Korea are two artists who work together as a collaborative duo called Gregory Maass & Nayoungim. Gregory Maass & Nayoungim´s work is inspired by quite diverse sources such as philosophy, psychoanalysis, cybernetics, cybernetic management, economy, fringe science, science fiction, art and craft, music, comics, conspiracy theory, sub-culture, and food. Their art often examines issues of adaptation, normality, perversion, and methodology. They are the founders of Kim Kim Gallery, which describes itself as "a non-profit organization, locative art, an art dealership based on unconventional marketing, a curatorial approach, an exhibition design firm, and editor of rare art books, depending on the situation it adapts to; in short, it does not fit the format imposed by the term Gallery." One rarely appears in public without the other.
- 1 Early lives
- 2 Works
- 3 Interviews
- 4 Shows
- 5 Awards and Scholarships
- 6 Influences
- 7 References
- 8 Further reading
- 9 External links
Gregory Maass was born in Hagen in North Rhine-Westphalia, northern Germany, his mother tongue being German. He worked as a paramedic before moving to Paris, France. He studied philosophy at the Paris-Sorbonne University and art at the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts, at the Institut des Hautes Études en Arts Plastiques (IHEAP) Paris (1993–94) and at Jan Van Eyck Academie the Netherlands (1998-2000). Nayoungim was born in Seoul in South-Korea. She studied art at the Seoul National University and later at the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts. The two first met on 12 September 1991 while studying sculpture at the ENSBA. The two claim they came together because they are both egomaniacs who form a symbiosis. They communicate with each other in French and English. They have claimed that they married in 2008. For several years, Gregory Maass & Nayoungim have been residents of Seoul.
Toilet Paper Still Lifes
are often life-size photographic representations on canvas of toilet paper rolls arranged on a table top. Depending on the composition the images are called “Arsewipe rocket”, "torche-cul", or “Ass-ana”.
Relationships Do No Exist
The pair is perhaps best known for their miniature work called "Relationships Do Not Exist". This group of sculptures is one of the largest series of work created by Gregory Maass & Nayoungim. Relationships Do Not Exist is among the more iconic, philosophically astute and visually humorous works that Gregory Maass & Nayoungim have created. The title derives from the famous Jacques Lacan quote “Sexual relationships do not exist”. They proceeded by choosing samples out of a wide collection of figurines ranging from the 1950s until today. In an intricate process the bodies are dismembered and reassembled, painted and mounted on empty trophy pedestals. Gregory Maass & Nayoungim call this an adaptation method: "First we cannibalize them and then they get frankensteined back together."
A Snowman for Busan
Mona Lisa Overdrive
is a public art work, first installed in front of the Seoul Railway Station in 2008. It is made of rubber, toys, foam mattresses and steel frames, and sprayed over with expansion foam. The entire construction is painted with a collection of surplus paints. The face of the sculpture depicts the past, present, and future of the city of Seoul.
- Video interview with Gregory Maass & Nayoungim in the their show "The Early Worm" ,
- "Octavianus", a video interview with Gregory Maass and Yiso Bahc. 
- "Pièce Unique", an Interview with Gregory Maass about the art of Robert Estermann. 
Tears Of Boredom
Gregory Maass´ first solo-show entitled "Tears of Boredom" (the original German title is "Tränen vor Langeweile"), was held in 1991 in Hagen, Germany. It consisted of a tautological representation of peanuts. Large scale peanut butter paintings representing peanuts, black and white photographies of peanuts, and an installation of peanuts positioned in tensegrity were on display.
The Early Worm Catches The Bird
duo-show was about different kinds of possible success in art, be it fame and glory, money and power, or the desired result of an attempt. The title derives from Genesis P-Orridge´s first recording with Worm. "In the summer of 1968, Worm recorded their first and only album, entitled Early Worm, in Megson's parents attic in Solihull. It was pressed onto vinyl in November at Deroy Sound Services in Manchester, but only one copy was ever produced. A second album, Catching the Bird, was recorded but never pressed."
The Handsome Tofu
"Tofu incorporates the meaning of mildness, nutritiousness, purity, shaped shapelessness, tasteful tastelessness, crème de la crème, exclusiveness, peacefulness and so on, which were the inspiration to build this show." It took place at the Department for Philosophy and Art in Assen, Netherlands. 
Survival of the Shitest
was a show realized with the help of mentally ill patients in the 3bisF Contemporary Art Space in Aix-en-Provence, France, which is located inside the walls of a psychiatric ward. It included works such as "This is punk" and "Hunter S. Thompson´s mirror shades".
Awards and Scholarships
- Institut des Hautes Études en Arts Plastiques Paris (1993–94)
- Jan Van Eyck Academie the Netherlands. (1998-2000)
- Atelier Rondo, Kultur Service Gesellschaft Steiermark, Graz, Austria (2008)
- United Sardine Factory Studio Grant, Bergen, Norway (2007)
- NKD, Studio Grant, Dale, Norway (2006)
- Lademoen Kunstnerverksteder Studio Grant, Trondheim, Norway (2006)
- Cite Internationale des Arts, AFAA Studio Grant, Paris, France, (2004)
- Boswil Artists’ House Foundation Studio Grant, Boswil, Switzerland
- Korean Film Commission Grant, Seoul, Korea, 2002
- Samsung Unni Atelier, Samsung Culture & Arts Foundation Studio Grant, Seoul, Korea (2001)
- Parc St.-Leger Centre d'Art Contemporain Studio Grant, Pougues-les-eaux, France (2000)
- Joseph Ebstein Price For Sculpture, Paris, France (1997)
Gregory Maass claims to be influenced in his thinking by Robert Filliou´s "Principle Of Equivalence", which states that (Well done, Badly done, Not done) are three equivalent assumptions, and the writings of Philip K. Dick.
- "Jacques Lacan´s theory on sexual relationships.".
- "POSIWID (the Purpose Of the System Is What It Does) exhibition".
- "The Early Worm Catches The Bird, Space Hamilton, Seoul, 2010".
- "Vegetable still lives, 1992-2008".
- "Acceptance, light sculpture, Plateau, Seoul, 2013".
- Extremely neutral, the spiral of events, Seoul, 2011 http://nayoungim-maass.blogspot.kr/search?q=extremely+neutral
- Use your noodle, ceramic noodles with gold lettering http://www.nayoungim-maass.com/worx/use_your_noodle.html
- Sockdrier, Kunstraum Baden, Switzerland, 2004http://www.nayoungim-maass.com/worx/sockdrier.html
- Clemens Kruemmel "It all indefinite article" http://www.nayoungim-maass.com/texts/it_all_indefinite_article.html
- Kim Kim Gallery Homepage http://www.kimkimgallery.com
- Mr. Blackball, Neuer Giessener Kunstverein, Germany 2007 http://www.designersparty.com/entry/Mr-Blackball-gregory-s-maass-nayoungim
- Shitlady, 2012 http://www.kimkimgallery.com/images/index_pics/gregory_maass_nayoungim/shitlady.jpg
- Extremely neutral, The spiral of events, performative sculpture, Seoul, 2011 http://nayoungim-maass.blogspot.kr/search?q=extremely+neutral+
- Jacques Lacan, Seminar XVII|Le Séminaire. Livre XVII. L'envers de la psychanalyse, 1969-70. Ed. Jacques-Alain Miller. Paris: Seuil, 1991: 134
- Relationships do not exist. http://nayoungim-maass.blogspot.kr/2010/10/relationships-do-not-exist-index.html
- Images of "Snowman for Pusan" http://www.akive.org/eng/portfolio/E0000921/SANBOKDORO%20PUBLIC%20ART%20PROJECT
- Mona Lisa Overdrive, Seoul Station 2008 http://likenoone.egloos.com/2142060
- Family Album, Gregory S. Maass, Works 1989-2003, http://causticwindowpublisher.blogspot.kr/2009/04/family-album_26.html
- The Early Worm Catches The Bird, Space Hamilton, Seoul, 2010http://www.akive.org/eng/portfolio/E0000921/SANBOKDORO%20PUBLIC%20ART%20PROJECT
- Ford, Simon (1999). Wreckers of Civilisation: The Story of COUM Transmissions & Throbbing Gristle. Black Dog Publishing. ISBN 978-1-901033-60-1.
- Early worm, video interview with Gregory Maass & Nayoungim, May 18, 2010 http://www.vimeo.com/11834661
- Quote of Gregory Maass commenting on the Handsome Tofu. http://www.nayoungim-maass.com/worx/z_old_do_not_upload/the-handsome-tofu.html
- View of the studio at 3bisF http://nayoungim-maass.blogspot.kr/2009/03/3-bis-f-studio-view.html
- Dr. phil. Sytze Steenstra, Warped Flow Gadget, 2007 http://www.nayoungim-maass.com/texts/steenstra-warped-flow-gadget.html
- Claudia Pestana, Re-veiling and resistance to understanding, 2012 http://www.kimkimgallery.com/texts/claudia_pestana.html
- Unfucking Real, Gregory Maass & Nayoungim, Works 2009 -2012, Claudia Pestana, p-89-96
- Unfucking Real, Works 2009-2012, published in 2013 by Caustic Window  ISBN 9788994027272
- Face Zine 
- Eloquence, international Creators Magazine, March 2013 
- Dazed & Confused Korea, Interview 
- Art in Culture Best Exhibition 2013