||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)|
Porter at Pittsburgh JazzLive International, June 9, 2013
|Genres||Jazz, Blues, Soul, Gospel|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, actor|
|Labels||Motéma Music, Blue Note|
Life and career
Gregory Porter was born in Los Angeles and was raised in Bakersfield, California, where his mother was a minister. A 1989 graduate of Highland High School, he received a full-ride athletic scholarship to San Diego State University (SDSU Aztecs). A shoulder injury during his junior year of high school restricted his football career.
Porter always wears a modified flat cap for public appearances. The reason for this is not entirely clear, but he has mentioned its role as a security blanket and refers to it as his "jazz hat." In an interview with Jazzweekly.com conducted by George W. Harris on November 3, 2012, when asked "what’s with the ubiquitous hat?" Porter replied, "I’ve had some surgery on my skin, so this has been my look for a little while and will continue to be for awhile longer. People recognize me by it now. It is what it is." 
He was signed by Blue Note Records (Universal Music Group) on May 17, 2013, and his third album, Liquid Spirit, was released on September 2, 2013, in Europe and on September 17, 2013, in the US. The album is produced by Brian Bacchus. The album won the 2014 Grammy for Best Jazz Vocal Album.
Since his 2010 debut on the Motéma label, Porter has been well-received in the music press.
His debut album, Water, released in 2010 via Motéma Music, was nominated for Best Jazz Vocal album at the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards. He was also a member of the original Broadway cast of It Ain't Nothin' But the Blues. His second album, Be Good, which contains many of Porter's compositions, was released on February 14, 2012, and garnered critical acclaim for both his distinctive singing and his compositions, such as "Be Good (Lion's Song), "Real Good Hands", and "On My Way to Harlem". The title track was also nominated for Best Traditional R&B Performance at the 55th Annual Grammy Awards. In his review of Water, Kevin Le Gendre of the BBC wrote that "Gregory Porter has a voice and musicality to be reckoned with."
The New York Times described Porter as "a jazz singer of thrilling presence, a booming baritone with a gift for earthy refinement and soaring uplift" in its review of Liquid Spirit.
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions|
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions|
|2014||Great Voices Of Harlem||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|Issues Of Life - Features and Remixes||—||—||138||—||—||72||49||—||—||—|
|2014||More Liquid Spirit – Features + Remixes|
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2012||"Be Good (Lion's Song)"||100||Be Good|
|"The 'In' Crowd"||—||Liquid Spirit|
|"Children, Your Line Is Draggin'"||1999||N/A||It Ain't Nothin' But the Blues|
|"Sweet Home Chicago"||C.E. Smith, Buddy Guy|
|"Do You Feel Like I Feel"||2011||Nicola Conte||Do You Feel Like I Feel|
|"Gogo Soul"||2012||The Rongetz Foundation||Brooklyn Butterfly Session|
|"Hard Bob Merry Go Round"|
|"Love's Work"||Robin McKelle & The Flytones||Soul Flower|
|"Sweet Country Love Song"||Jools Holland And His Rhythm & Blues Orchestra||The Golden Age Of Song|
|"No fundo do teu silêncio"||Meeco||Beauty of the Night|
|"Nowhere to Run"||2013||Zbonics||Time to Do Your Thing|
|"She Danced Across the Floor"|
|"Issues of Life"|
|"Just in Time"|
|"Satiated (Been Waiting)"||Dianne Reeves||Beautiful Life|
|"Losin' Our Minds"||Kentyah, M-1, Brian Jackson, The New Midnight Band||Evolutionary Minded: Furthering the Legacy of Gil Scott-Heron|
|"Occupy Planet Earth"|
|"Song Of The Wind"|
|"Army of the Faithful (Joyful Noise)"||David Murray Infinity Quartet||Be My Monster Love|
|"About The Children"|
|"Hope Is A Thing With Feathers"|
|"Vida"||Max Herre||MTV Unplugged Kahedi Radio Show|
|"Stand By Me"||2014||Till Brönner||The Movie Album|
|"Let the Good Times Roll"||Andreas Varady||Come Together EP|
|"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"||Jamie Cullum||Interlude|
|"Go Tell It On The Mountain / Ain't No Mountain High Enough" (Medley)||Anita Wilson||Motown Christmas|
|"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"||Renée Fleming||Christmas In New York|
|"Central Park Serenade"|
|"Black Is the Colour (Of My True Love's Hair)"||N/A||Autour De Nina|
- "Gregory Porter: Prohibice by mi nevadila". Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Gregory Porter MySpace bio.
- Spice, Anton. "Gregory Porter interview: "You have to know the protest in order to hear the protest"". ICrates. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- Jeff Tamarkin (15 May 2013). "Blue Note Signs Vocalist Gregory Porter". jazztimes.com. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Liquid Spirit cover unveiled". marlbank.net/. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Best Jazz Vocal Album". grammy.com/. Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- Guardian music. "Gregory Porter: The 'In' Crowd – video premiere - Music - theguardian.com". the Guardian. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- "Gregory Porter at Nominees Reception". grammy.com/. 12 February 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "55th annual Grammy Awards nominees". usatoday.com/. 16 January 2011. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- Kevin Le Gendre. Gregory Porter Water Review. BBC Music, 2010.
- Nate Chinen. Evoking Older Ideals and Earthly Realities: Gregory Porter Mines Soulful Jazz in ‘Liquid Spirit.’ The New York Times, 6 Sept. 2013.
- "Gregory Porter - Chart history". Billboard.com. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- "Gregory Porter discography". austriancharts.at. Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Gregory Porter discography". ultratop.be/nl/. Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Gregory Porter discography". danishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- "Gregory Porter discography". lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit". Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- "Gregory Porter discography". dutchcharts.nl. Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Gregory Porter discography". norwegiancharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Gregory Porter discography". hitparade.ch. Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Gregory Porter discography". www.officialcharts.com. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- Official website
- Interviews: Gregory Porter discusses his life and music on 7th Avenue Project radio show: September 23, 2012 (Pt 1) and June 23, 2013 (Pt 2).
- Gregory Porter at Motéma Music
- Gregory Porter Booking Agent (North America, Asia, South Africa, The Netherlands): Maria Matias Music MariaMatiasMusic.com
- Gregory Porter Booking Agent (UK): RedFireMusic www.redfiremusic.co.uk