Delphi, Indiana, US
|Education||Twin Lakes High School, Monticello, Indiana|
|Alma mater||Purdue University|
|Occupation||President and CEO of Walgreens, Director of Verizon Communications|
|Salary||$13,654,636 (total compensation for fiscal year 2013)|
Gregory David Wasson was born in 1958 in Delphi, Indiana, the second of five children of Richard "Dick" and Phyllis Wasson. His family lived in Delphi until he was 13, and then moved to nearby Monticello, Indiana, where his parents still he lived. Wasson graduated from Twin Lakes High School.
Two of Wasson's relatives were pharmacists, and they encouraged him to study pharmacy at Purdue University. Wasson met his future wife there, also a pharmacy student. They married on their graduation day.
Wasson joined Walgreens as a pharmacy intern in 1980 while a student. Three days after his marriage, they relocated to Houston, where he had a post as a management trainee. He was managing his first store four months later.
In 2001, he was promoted again to Walgreens vice president and made an executive vice president of Walgreens Health Initiatives, the company’s pharmacy benefit manager (PBM). Wasson was promoted to president of Walgreens Health Initiatives in 2002, Walgreens senior vice president in 2004 and to a Walgreens executive vice president in 2005.
Wasson married Kimberly "Kim" Wasson née Munt on May 16, 1981, and they have two daughters. He and his family attend Long Grove Community Church, where his wife Kim currently serves as the Compassion/Outreach Ministry Leader.
His younger brother, Brad Wasson, also has a BS in Pharmacy from Purdue (1985), and has had a long career at Walgreens, where he is vice president of operations. Brad's wife Lisa Wasson née Morgan also has a pharmacy degree (BS 1985).
- "Gregory D. Wasson". Businessweek. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- Abrams, Rachel. "After Merger, Chief to Leave Walgreens". The New York Times. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- Frost, Peter (25 June 2012). "Executive Profile: Greg Wasson, CEO of Walgreen Co.". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- "Delphi native is Walgreen's new president and COO". Carroll County Comet. 2007-04-25. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- Consumer Goods Forum website, Board of Directors
- "Gregory Wasson". Forbes. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "Rising to the Top at Walgreens". Purdue. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "In the news: Walgreens chief executive Greg Wasson profiled". Retail Week. Retrieved 3 November 2014.