Gresham Professor of Law
The Professor of Law at Gresham College, London, gives free educational lectures to the general public. The college was founded for this purpose in 1596/7, when it appointed seven professors. (Years given as, say, 1596/7 refer to Old Style and New Style dates.) This has since increased to eight and in addition the college now has visiting professors. The Professor of Law is always appointed by the Mercers’ School Memorial Trust, which is administered by the Worshipful Company of Mercers.
|1||Henry Mowtlowe||March 1596/7|
|2||Clement Corbet||May 1607|
|3||Thomas Eden||10 Nov 1613|
|4||Benjamin Thorneton||27 July 1640|
|5||Joshua Crosse||29 March 1644|
|6||Thomas Leonard[disambiguation needed]||4 May 1649|
|7||John Bond||12 March 1649/50|
|8||Benjamin Thorneton||23 Oct 1660|
|9||Richard Pearson[disambiguation needed]||8 Oct 1667|
|10||John Clarke[disambiguation needed]||9 August 1670|
|11||Roger Meredith||7 March 1672/3|
|12||Robert Briggs||7 Feb 1686/7|
|13||John Cumyng||1 May 1719|
|14||William Mace||30 August 1744|
|15||Joseph Jeffries||20 May 1767|
|16||T Taylor||23 Jan 1784|
|17||William Jocelyn Palmer||14 Jan 1808|
|18||William Palmer||5 Feb 1836|
|19||John Thomas Abdy||18 June 1858|
|20||George Holmes Blakesley||23 April 1896|
|21||William Blake Odgers||27 March 1907|
|22||Geoffrey Walter Wrangham||22 May 1925|
|23||William Arthian Davies||16 March 1934|
|1939-45 Lectures in abeyance|
|24||Eric Sachs||6 June 1946|
|25||Richard O'Sullivan||6 July 1950|
|26||Richard Jon Harvey||1962|
|27||R F V Heuston||1965|
|28||P. R. Glazebrook||1971|
|29||Clive M. Schmitthoff||1976–86?|
|30||Kenneth R. Simmonds||1988|
|31||Sir David Calcutt QC||1 Sept 1992|
|32||Simon Lee||1 Sept 1995|
|33||Gerald Wakefield||1 Sept 1998|
|34||Richard Susskind OBE||1 Sept 2000|
|35||Vernon Bogdanor FBA CBE||1 Sept 2004|
|36||Ruth Deech, Baroness Deech of Cumnor DBE||1 Sept 2008|
|37||Sir Geoffrey Nice QC||2012|
- Gresham College old website, Internet Archive List of professors
- "Clark, John". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Briggs, Robert". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Palmer, William". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Blakesley, George Holmes". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Odgers, William Blake". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Gresham College Press Release, 3 July 2012".
- Ward, John (1740). The Lives of the Professors of Gresham College. New York & London: Johnson Reprint Corporation.