January 21, 1946 |
Santa Barbara, California, U.S.
|Notable works||This Cold Heaven|
|Notable awards||Whiting Writers' Award
Henry David Thoreau Prize
Born in 1946 in Santa Barbara, California, she studied at Bennington College and UCLA film school. She began to write full-time in 1978, living on a Wyoming ranch, after the death of a loved one. Ehrlich debuted in 1985 with The Solace of Open Spaces, a collection of essays on rural life in Wyoming. Her first novel, also set in Wyoming, was Heart Mountain (1988), about a community being invaded by an internment camp for Japanese Americans.
One of Ehrlich's most beloved books is a volume of creative nonfiction essays called Islands, The Universe, Home. Her characteristic style of merging intense, vivid factual observations of nature with a wryly mystical personal voice is evident in this text. Other books include This Cold Heaven: Seven Seasons in Greenland and two volumes of poetry.
In 1991 Ehrlich was hit by lightning. She was incapacitated for several years, and she wrote a book about the experience, A Match to the Heart, which was published in 1994. Since 1993, she has traveled extensively, especially through Greenland and western China.
- To Touch the Water, Ahsahta Press, 1981, ISBN 978-0-916272-16-6
- The Solace of Open Spaces, Viking Press, 1985, ISBN 978-0-670-80678-2
- Heart Mountain, Viking Press, 1988, ISBN 978-0-670-82160-0
- Drinking Dry Clouds: Stories from Wyoming, Capra Press, 1991, ISBN 978-0-88496-315-8
- Islands, the Universe, Home, Viking Press, 1991, ISBN 978-0-670-82161-7
- Arctic Heart: A Poem Cycle, Capra Press, 1992, ISBN 978-0-88496-357-8
- A Match to the Heart: One Woman's Story of Being Struck by Lightning, Pantheon Books, 1994, ISBN 978-0-679-42550-2
- John Muir: Nature's Visionary,National Geographic Society, 2000, ISBN 978-0-7922-7954-9
- This Cold Heaven: Seven Seasons in Greenland, Pantheon Books, 2001, ISBN 978-0-679-44200-4
- The Future of Ice: A Journey Into Cold, Pantheon Books, 2004, ISBN 978-0-375-42251-5
- In the Empire of Ice: Encounters in a Changing Landscape, National Geographic Society, 2010, ISBN 978-1-4262-0574-3
- Facing the Wave: A Journey in the Wake of the Tsunami, Pantheon, 2013, ISBN 978-0-307-90731-8