GridWars or GridWars 2 is a computer game inspired by Bizarre Creations' Geometry Wars developed by Marco Incitti. The first version of the game was released as freeware on December 21, 2005 on Marco Incitti's Blitz Creations website.
Although other freeware games similar to Geometry Wars exist, GridWars eventually became so popular that Bizarre emailed Incitti and asked him to take the game down, citing that they were "beginning to feel the effects of the Geometry Wars clones on our sales via Microsoft now and are beginning a process to begin to more robustly protect our copyright and intellectual property". The link to the download was pulled from the site on August 8, 2006. The game was subsequently released on a German website dedicated to Flash and freeware games and is available for Windows, OSX and Linux.
Unlike Geometry Wars which eventually plateaus in difficulty facilitating high scores in the range of hundreds of millions of points, GridWars 2 has an exponentially increasing difficulty curve. Eventually, the enemy spawn sites become so large that they nearly envelop the entire grid.
- Jason Dobson (August 9, 2006). "Round Up: Cash Money Chaos, Disney, Grid Wars C&D".
- Sinclair, Brandan. "Bizarre begins Geometry Wars clone wars". GameSpot. August 15, 2006.
- Bramwell, Tom. "Bizarre finally tackles Grid Wars". Eurogamer. August 16, 2006.
- Bramwell, Tom. "Grid Wars author's reflections". Eurogamer. August 18, 2006.
- My Blitz Creations - Marco Incitti's page with his other games, and where GridWars was formerly hosted.
|This shooter game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|