|Traded as||BMAD: GRF
|Key people||Víctor Grifols (Chairman and CEO)|
|Products||Plasma derivatives, in vitro diagnostic products, non-biological products for laboratories and hospitals|
|Revenue||€2,741.732 million (2013)|
|Operating income||€736.1 million (2013)|
|Profit||€345.6 million (2013)|
|Total assets||€7,276.1 million (june 2014)|
|Total equity||€2,107.2 million (end 2013)|
|Employees||11,779 (end 2013)|
Grifols, S.A. (Catalan: [ɡɾiˈfɔɫs]) is a Spanish multinational pharmaceutical and chemical company. Principally a producer of blood plasma-based products, a field in which it is the European leader and third-largest worldwide, the company also supplies devices, instruments and reagents for clinical testing laboratories.
In 2007 the company had 3.6 million litres per year of blood fractionation capacity from three plants, one at Parets del Vallès near Barcelona in Spain (2.1 million litres per year), another in Los Angeles (1.5 million litres but being expanded to 2.2 million litres), and a site in Clayton,NC. In the United States the company owns 150 plasmapheresis centres, where it collects around 5.8 million litres of plasma per year.
Grifols was founded in 1940 in Barcelona by Dr José A. Grifols Roig, a hematologist and scientist. Dr Grifols was the first researcher to publish the plasmapheresis procedure in 1951. The company introduced its liquid IVIG product into the European market in the mid-1990s. In 2003 the company acquired certain assets of the Los Angeles-based Alpha Therapeutic as the basis of its American expansion.
On June 1, 2011, a year after announcing the $4 billion deal, Grifols completed a takeover of Talecris Biotherapeutics, headquartered in Research Triangle Park in North Carolina, with over 2000 employees.
Grifols acquired the blood transfusion diagnostics unit from Novartis in 2013 as a "platform for global expansion". This unit is based in Emeryville, California and was a part of Chiron acquired by Novartis in 2006.
- 11 http://openaccess.uoc.edu/webapps/o2/bitstream/10609/13101/1/GRIFOLS%20Factores%20Competitividad%20a%20Largo%20Plazo.pdf
- "Annual Report 2011". Grifols. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- Smyth, Sharon; Gore, Gareth (23 June 2008). "Santander, Sabadell, Sol Melia, Urbas: Iberia Preview". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
- "Novartis Sells Blood Transfusion Dx Unit to Grifols". Gen. Eng. Biotechnol. News (paper) 33 (21). December 2013. p. 10.
- Dowsett, Sonya (19 January 2007). "Blood firm Grifols sees 2006 sales up 22 pct". Reuters. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
- Wolf, Alan M. (2011-06-02). "Spanish buyer set to take over Talecris". News & Observer. Retrieved 2011-06-02.