Griggs County, North Dakota
|Griggs County, North Dakota|
Location in the state of North Dakota
North Dakota's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 18, 1881|
|• Total||716 sq mi (1,854 km2)|
|• Land||708 sq mi (1,834 km2)|
|• Water||8 sq mi (21 km2), 1.1%|
|• Density||5/sq mi (2/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
- Nelson County (north)
- Steele County (east)
- Barnes County (south)
- Stutsman County (southwest)
- Foster County (west)
- Eddy County (northwest)
||Eddy County||Nelson County|
|Foster County||Steele County|
|Stutsman County||Barnes County|
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,754 people, 1,178 households, and 781 families residing in the county. The population density was 4 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 1,521 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 99.31% White, 0.22% Native American, 0.15% Asian, 0.15% from other races, and 0.18% from two or more races. 0.40% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 59.7% were of Norwegian and 24.9% German ancestry.
There were 1,178 households out of which 26.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.30% were married couples living together, 4.70% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.70% were non-families. 31.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.29 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the county the population was spread out with 22.50% under the age of 18, 4.90% from 18 to 24, 21.10% from 25 to 44, 25.80% from 45 to 64, and 25.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 99.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.90 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $29,572, and the median income for a family was $38,611. Males had a median income of $26,981 versus $19,327 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,131. About 7.80% of families and 10.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.00% of those under age 18 and 10.30% of those age 65 or over.
Note: all incorporated communities in North Dakota are called "cities" regardless of their size.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Griggs County, North Dakota
- USS Griggs (APA-110), U.S. Navy ship named after this county
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 145.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Population for Incorporated Places in North Dakota". United States Census Bureau. 2014-01-21. Retrieved 2014-01-21.