Mell & DJ Novus
|Genres||Eurodance, dance-pop, pop rock|
|Labels||Zeitgeist (Universal), Sony Music, Columbia, Suprime Music, Nagaswara (Indonesia)|
Groove Coverage is a German dance band, which consists of Axel Konrad, DJ Novus, Melanie Munch, better known as Mell (lead singer), and Verena Rehm (former stage performer, backing singer, occasional lead singer). Producers of the band are Ole Wierk and Axel Konrad. The project was founded in the Summer of 2001 by DJ Novus, in co-operation with Suprime Music (Konrad). With eleven singles in the German Top 50 and over five million albums sold worldwide, Groove Coverage is one of the most successful German dance artists.
- 1 Band history
- 2 Discography
- 3 Current members
- 4 Past members
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Groove Coverage released a few dance singles, most notably "Are U Ready" and "Hit Me" before going on to release the breakthrough single Moonlight Shadow (a cover of the famous Mike Oldfield track) which became a massive hit in Germany, peaking at #3 in the German media control charts in June 2002. At the end of 2002, the band released their debut album Covergirl, which included the new single "God is a Girl".
7 Years and 50 Days (2003-04) and international breakthrough
After the success of the singles Moonlight Shadow and God Is A Girl, Groove Coverage went on to release a new single ironically titled "The End", which was released in April 2003, peaking at #14 in the German Media Control Charts, proving it was not the end - but the start of the next album. In late 2003, the band released the next top 10 hit single, a cover of Alice Cooper's hit "Poison", before going on to release the second studio album 7 Years and 50 Days in March 2004, which spawned out five top 20 singles in Germany including The End, Poison, 7 Years and 50 Days, She and Runaway.
In 2005, 7 Years and 50 Days reached platinum sales in Asia, as well as being hugely successful in Indonesia. In the UK and Ireland, the band's single "Poison" became a top 40 hit, peaking at #32 in the Official UK Singles Chart which helped the band reach to new territories such as Spain, and in China, where, in 2007, their single "God Is a Girl" became the most successful song of the year, having been downloaded more that 1.5 million times.
21st century and Greatest Hits (2005-2007)
In August 2005, the band released their next single "Holy Virgin", which became a top 30 hit in Germany, and top 15 hit in Austria peaking at #12. The following Summer, the band released their third studio album 21st Century preceded by the more pop-sounding singles On The Radio and 21st Century Digital Girl.
With only moderate success with their third album, Groove Coverage did not release any more music until late 2007, where they released the new single "Because I Love You" to promote their first Greatest Hits compilation. Again the band only experienced moderate success with the new single and album, so were dropped by their label Universal Music Germany.
Riot on the Dancefloor (2010-12)
In 2010, Groove Coverage celebrated their new music contract with Sony Music / Columbia. For this, the band released the highly anticipated new single "Innocent" which was a cover of the famous Mike Oldfield track. The single became the highest new entry in the German Media Control Charts peaking at #38.
In Spring 2011, the next single "Angeline" was released, peaking at #22 in the German Media Control Charts, the single proved to be a massive success for the band - staying in the German top 50 Charts for over 16 weeks, as well as peaking at #1 in both the DJ Top 100 International charts, and the MusicLoad digital charts.
In March 2012, Groove Coverage released their highly anticipated fourth studio album "Riot On The Dancefloor" which includes the previous two singles "Innocent and "Angeline", as well as the new singles "Think About The Way" and "Riot On The Dancefloor".
New Single 2014
On Dec 1, the band launched their new website, where they announced that they had finished work on the new single and that it would be out soon. The single is titled "Tell Me" and will be the first Groove Coverage single to be released Digital Only with no physical CD release. The Music Video premiered on Jan 27 2014 which features a lot of guests appearances including Rameez, DJane HouseKat, Verena Rehm, Micaela Schaefer and Shaun Baker. The single will be released on 31 Jan 2014.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|7 Years and 50 Days||12||15|
|Riot on the Dancefloor||—||—|
- Best of Groove Coverage (CD + DVD) (2005)
- Best of Groove Coverage: The Ultimate Collection (3 CD) (2005) (Hong Kong)
- Greatest Hits (2006) (U.S.)
- Greatest Hits (2 CD) (2007)
- Poison (The Best Of Groove Coverage) (Rare Japan CD)
- The Definitive Greatest Hits & Videos (Singapore) (2008)
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|1999||"Hit Me"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Single only|
|2000||"Are U Ready"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Covergirl|
|2002||"God Is a Girl"||—||5||—||8||—||—||70||—|
|2003||"The End"||—||16||—||14||—||—||—||—||7 Years and 50 Days|
|2004||"7 Years and 50 Days"||—||6||—||16||—||—||—||—|
|2005||"Holy Virgin"||—||12||—||30||—||—||—||—||21st Century|
|2006||"On the Radio"||—||23||—||21||—||—||—||—|
|"21st Century Digital Girl"||—||32||—||41||—||—||—||—|
|2007||"Because I Love You"||—||56||—||72||—||—||—||—||Greatest Hits|
|2010||"Innocent"||—||48||—||38||—||—||—||—||Riot on the Dancefloor|
|2012||"Think About the Way"||—||—||—||54||—||—||—||—|
|"Riot on The Dancefloor"||—||72||—||91||—||—||—||—|
|2014||"Tell Me"||-||"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- Chupa - "Arriba" (2001)
- DJ Valium - "Bring the Beat Back" (2002)
- X-Perience - "It's a Sin" (2002)
- Special D - "Come with Me" (2002)
- Silicon Bros - "Million Miles from Home" (2002)
- Seven - "Spaceman Came Traveling" (2003)
- DJ Cosmo - "Lovesong" (2003)
- Sylver - "Livin' My Life" (2003)
- Alice Cooper - "Poison" (2003)
- Mandaryna - "Here I Go Again" (2004)
- Sylver - "Love Is an Angel" (2004)
- Baracuda - "Ass Up!" (2005)
- Melanie Flash - "Halfway to Heaven" (2006)
- N-Euro - "Lover on the Line" (2006)
- Max Deejay vs. DJ Miko - "What's Up" (2006)
- Baracuda - "La Di Da" (2007)
- DJ Goldfinger - "Love Journey Deluxe" (2008)
- Arnie B - "Another Story" (2008)
- Arsenium - "Rumadai" (2008)
- Master Blaster - "Everywhere" (2008)
- N.I.N.A - "No More Tears" (2008)
- Ayumi Hamasaki - "Vogue" (2011)
- Kim Wilde - "It's alright" (2011)
- Within Temptation - "Sinéad" (2011)
- DJane Housekat feat. Rameez - "My Party" (2012)
- Axel Konrad (Producer)
- Ole Wierk (Producer)
- DJ Novus - DJ (1999–Present)
- Melanie Munch (Mell) - Lead Singer (2002–Present)
- Verena Rehm -Backup Singer (2002 – present)
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2012)|
- Groove Coverage in Austrian charts
- Groove Coverage in German charts
- Groove Coverage in Australian charts
- Groove Coverage in Wallonian charts
- Groove Coverage in Irish charts
- Groove Coverage in Dutch charts
- Groove Coverage in Swiss charts
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 237. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.