Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan
|Grosse Pointe Shores|
|City of Grosse Pointe Shores|
Location in Wayne County and the state of Michigan
|• Mayor||Thaddeus J. Kedzierski|
|• Total||19.23 sq mi (49.81 km2)|
|• Land||1.15 sq mi (2.98 km2)|
|• Water||18.08 sq mi (46.83 km2)|
|Elevation||581 ft (177 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||2,961|
|• Density||2,615.7/sq mi (1,009.9/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||48230, 48236|
|GNIS feature ID||2398212|
Grosse Pointe Shores is a city in the U.S. state of Michigan. With only 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2) land area, the city is the smallest of the five Grosse Pointe communities. The city, which is entirely residential, is the location of the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club on Lake Saint Clair. The city's population was 3,008 at the 2010 census. It has the 70th highest income for a municipality with over 1,000 citizens in the country and the second highest income in the state of Michigan.
On February 24, 2009, the residents of Grosse Pointe Shores voted to incorporate as a city with the name "Village of Grosse Pointe Shores, A Michigan City," which took place on April 1. Prior to incorporation as a city, the village encompassed the entire area of two small townships. Most of the former village was within Grosse Pointe Township in Wayne County. A tiny portion of the village was within Lake Township in Macomb County.
Grosse Pointe Shores was incorporated as a village in 1911. The village incorporated as a city in 2009. In 2011, the city government stated that it is considering trying to move all of the city into Macomb County, since Macomb County has lower taxes than Wayne County.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 19.23 square miles (49.81 km2), of which 1.15 square miles (2.98 km2) is land and 18.08 square miles (46.83 km2) is water, (part of Lake St. Clair).
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,008 people, 1,201 households, and 911 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,615.7 inhabitants per square mile (1,009.9/km2). There were 1,350 housing units at an average density of 1,173.9 per square mile (453.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 92.8% White, 1.9% African American, 0.3% Native American, 3.8% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 1.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.9% of the population.
There were 1,201 households of which 24.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.0% were married couples living together, 4.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 24.1% were non-families. 21.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 2.92.
The median age in the city was 52.2 years. 19.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 14.2% were from 25 to 44; 33.5% were from 45 to 64; and 27.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.1% male and 49.9% female.
As of the census  of 2000, there were 2,823 people, 1,058 households, and 859 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,470.6 per square mile (956.1/km²). There were 1,096 housing units at an average density of 959.2 per square mile (371.2/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 93.80% White, 0.60% African American, 0.25% Native American, 4.07% Asian, 0.43% from other races, and 0.85% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.74% of the population.
There were 1,058 households out of which 28.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 74.5% were married couples living together, 4.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.8% were non-families. 17.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.01.
The median income for a household in the village was $113,882, and the median income for a family was $139,680. Males had a median income of $100,000 versus $59,375 for females. The per capita income for the village was $97,639. About 2.7% of families and 3.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.6% of those under age 18 and 3.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Edsel Ford, son of Henry Ford,and president of Ford Motor Company;
- Ralph Wilson, founder, owner, and president of the Buffalo Bills;
- William Clay Ford, Sr., grandson of Henry Ford, son of Edsel Ford
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Village of Grosse Pointe Shores city, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- Detroit News, February 25, 2009
- Al, Tanveer (May 7, 2008). "Grosse Pointe Shores voters embrace cityhood". The Detroit News (detnews.com).
- "Grosse Pointe Shores > Home". gpshoresmi.gov.
- Williams, Candice. "Grosse Pointe Shores eyes Macomb move." The Detroit News. September 12, 2011. Retrieved on September 18, 2011.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Wayne County, MI." (Archive) U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on November 1, 2012.
- "SL_header800_2009goldnotag.jpg." South Lake School District. Retrieved on November 1, 2012.
- "District Map." (Archive) South Lake School District. Retrieved on November 1, 2012.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Macomb County, MI." (Archive) U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on November 1, 2012.
||St. Clair Shores||Lake St. Clair / Walpole Island 46|
|Grosse Pointe Woods||Lake St. Clair / Chatham-Kent|
|Grosse Pointe Farms||Lake St. Clair / Lakeshore|