|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
Grouplove, performing at the Vera Project in Seattle on September 30, 2011
|Origin||Los Angeles, California|
|Genres||Indietronica, indie rock, indie pop, synthpop, alternative dance|
|Past members||Sean Gadd|
Grouplove (also typeset as GROUPLOVE) is an American pop band that formed in 2009 by Hannah Hooper (vocals, keyboards), Christian Zucconi (vocals, guitar), Sean Gadd (bass, vocals), Andrew Wessen (guitar, vocals), and Ryan Rabin (drums).
Ryan Rabin produced their debut EP which was originally released independently, and was later re-released by Canvasback/Atlantic with a bonus track and their hit song, "Colours". Their debut album, Never Trust a Happy Song, was also produced by Rabin and was released worldwide on September 13, 2011.
Grouplove formed out of a friendship between the five members of the band. Hooper met Zucconi on the Lower East Side of Manhattan after hearing and enjoying his music. Despite having just met, Hooper invited Zucconi to an artist residency in Crete she was leaving for later that week. It was at the Ikarus artist commune in the village of Avdou where they met the rest of the band, Andrew Wessen, Ryan Rabin, and Sean Gadd. Rabin, an accomplished drummer and producer, grew up in Los Angeles with Wessen, a surfer and guitarist. Rabin comes from a musical family - his father is Trevor Rabin, former guitarist of Yes. Sean Gadd, a songwriter and guitarist from London, was also at the commune. The friendship between the members formed quickly, but the band did not form until a year later after Gadd, Zucconi and Hooper pooled their funds together and made a trip to Rabin's Los Angeles recording studio. They played their first show at El Cid in Los Angeles on May 10, 2010. Later that year, the band went on tour with Florence and The Machine on the west coast, and then The Joy Formidable on the east coast. By November, Nylon Magazine recognized Grouplove as one of the top ten in the "Best New Bands in 2010."
After signing with Canvasback/Atlantic Records, the band re-released their self-titled EP, Grouplove, on January 25, 2011. In 2011, the band co-headlined a cross-country tour with Foster The People, and made appearances at Lollapalooza, Outside Lands, Reading and Leeds Festivals, and Glastonbury. The band has established themselves as a formidable live act, touring nearly non-stop over the past two years. Recently the group sold out the Wiltern in Los Angeles and Terminal 5 in NYC.
Never Trust a Happy Song and Spreading Rumours (2011–present)
The band released its debut album, Never Trust a Happy Song, on September 13, 2011 through Canvasback/Atlantic Records. They released 4 singles from the album - Colours (which featured on a FIFA game), Tongue Tied (which went on to score the band a no. 1 on the US Alternative Chart and featured in several commercials (including one for Apple, and one for Coca-Cola) and an episode of Fox's Glee) Lovely Cup and Itchin On A Photograph. In support of their debut album, the band went on a headlining North American Fall tour and also performed with Two Door Cinema Club as their main support. In December, the band performed at KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas, which takes place at the Gibson Amphitheatre, in Universal City. On January 3, 2012 the band kicked off their sold-out headline tour in Australia at the Factory Theatre in Sydney and continued their tour in Europe in February. The band began their US Spring 2012 tour on March 6 in Burlington, VT in support of Young The Giant. Throughout the sold-out headline tour the band had featured stops at Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, Sasquatch! Music Festival, and Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival.
Grouplove kicked off their Close Your Eyes and Count to Tour Tour on September 25, 2012 at the Roseland Theater in Portland, Oregon, traveling across the country with Alt-J and MS MR as support. Close Your Eyes and Count to Tour Tour ended on November 17, 2012 at the Wiltern in Los Angeles, California.
On Apr 20, 2013, Grouplove released a "Make It To Me" in collaboration with Manchester Orchestra. They announced their second album, as well as debuting the video for the lead single, "Ways To Go", on 10 June 2013.
On September 17, 2013, Grouplove's second album, Spreading Rumours, was released. That same day, Grouplove played a sold out show at the Troubadour in West Hollywood with supporting Australian band, The Rubens. The band then embarked on an 18-show US tour, the Seesaw Tour, on which they played in 9 cities, with two dates in each city - one a more standard show, the other a more stripped back show. They were supported on this tour by The Rubens.
In late 2013, Grouplove started touring with Daniel Gleason. This was temporary and was to allow Sean Gadd to do other work. Although rumors circulated that he left the band, he stated on Twitter that he was still part of Grouplove. Gleason then toured with the band on their 2014 US tour, on which they supported by MS MR, and their subsequent European tour, on which they were supported by FEMME for the UK dates.
On April 22, 2014, Sean Gadd tweeted, "Thanks for all the love. Grouplove is family and still my favorite band. Sending love. GROUP", leaving his status with the band up in the air. He has posted a song on YouTube called "Dream With Me". Recently on June 19, 2014, Sean Gadd tweeted a series of tweets about his status in the band, the last one officially confirmed his leaving of the band, "I'm so sorry I made a big mistake. I'm making an announcement of why I'm leaving grouplove forever x."  This was followed by a post on the band's website officially announcing his departure.
The band played at several festivals in 2014, including Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, Firefly and Coachella, and will headline the Honda Civic tour in late August/early September, supported by Portugal. The Man. While on tour that year, they performed a cover of Beyonce's hit single, "Drunk In Love".
In 2014, Grouplove released I'm With You, a short form tour documentary about the band. The documentary featured performances from the New York Seesaw Tour shows and a digital album of six songs is set for release by Atlantic.
The band have contributed an original song, "Let Me In", to the soundtrack for the movie The Fault In Our Stars. They also contributed an original song, "Everybody's Gonna Get High", to an episode of the second season of the HBO series Girls; and another song, "Underground", to the 2012 Tim Burton movie Frankenweenie. In 2014, they provided the end title song for the Netflix original series BoJack Horseman.
Grouplove's first single, "Colours", reached number 12 on Modern Rock charts. It was also featured in Madden NFL 12, FIFA 12, and MLB 2K12. The song was also offered as a free download on iTunes for the week beginning September 12, 2011.
In November 2011, the band’s second single "Tongue Tied" appeared in an iPod Touch commercial. The song steadily grew in popularity, and, after 26 consecutive weeks on the Modern Rock radio chart, hit #1 in June 2012. "Tongue Tied" has been RIAA certified Platinum and sold over 1,000,000 singles to date in the US, and has gone gold in Australia and Canada too. "Tongue Tied" was also used and performed by the cast of Fox's Glee in a May episode of the series, and also featured in a Coca-Cola advertisement. It also appears in the Gameloft racing game GT Racing 2: The Real Car Experience. Later it was used in the movie "Blended" with Adam Sandler
In the voting for Australia's Hottest 100 presented by Triple J, "Tongue Tied" was voted #16th best song of 2012.
The third single off of Never Trust a Happy Song, "Itchin' on a Photograph" went to top 10 at Modern Rock radio. "Itchin' on a Photograph" was featured on the NASCAR The Game: Inside Line soundtrack.
- Current members
- Christian Zucconi – vocals, guitars (2009–present)
- Hannah Hooper – vocals, keyboards (2009–present)
- Andrew Wessen – guitars, vocals (2009–present)
- Ryan Rabin – drums, other (2009–present)
- Daniel Gleason – bass (2014–present)
- Former members
- Sean Gadd – bass (2009–2014)
Grouplove works with Manchester Orchestra from time to time. They usually share concerts or share members if one is not available.
- Never Trust a Happy Song (2011) No. 75 US, No. 21 AUS
- Spreading Rumours (2013) No. 21 US
- Grouplove EP (2010), Canvasback
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|2011||"Colours"||—||—||—||15||29||—||—||45||—||Never Trust a Happy Song|
|2012||"Itchin' on a Photograph"||—||—||—||10||30||—||—||—||—|
|2013||"Ways to Go"||120||—||—||2||18||60
|"I'm With You"||—||—||—||43||—||—||—||—||—|
Grouplove has made several television appearances.
|February 1, 2011||The Daily Habit|
|March 31, 2011||Last Call with Carson Daly|
|September 21, 2011||Conan|
|November 18, 2011||Late Show with David Letterman|
|January 17, 2012||Jimmy Kimmel Live!|
|June 19, 2012||The Tonight Show with Jay Leno|
|July 9, 2012||The Today Show|
|August 7, 2012||Conan|
|November 29, 2012||The Tonight Show with Jay Leno|
|June 18, 2013||The Tonight Show with Jay Leno|
|June 10, 2014||Conan|
|2014||BoJack Horseman (for "Back in the 90's (BoJack Horseman End Theme)")|
- Lentz, Andrew. "Ryan Rabin: Gettin' Down to Business." DRUM! Drumming for Fanatics. October 2011. Web. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- Fortune, Drew. "Interview With Grouplove’s Christian Zucconi". A.V. Club. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Damon, Emily. "Grouplove To Release Debut EP January 25" November 2011. Web. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- Reynolds, Maggie. "Grouplove Announce Spring 2012 Tour Dates" November 2011. Web. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- Smith, Asia. "Grouplove Announces Fall Headlining Tour" July 2011. Web. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- Martens, Todd. "Death Cab, Foster the People to close KROQ's Acoustic Christmas" Web. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- "Grouplove Announce Slate of National Television Appearances" June 2012. Web. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- "Fall 2012 Tour Dates Announced….More To Come!". GROUPLOVE Music. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- http://www.grouplovemusic.com/blog/new-music-new-video-new-album-26581. Missing or empty
- "iTunes" Web. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Wass, Mike. "Grouplove Spread Good Vibes At The Troubadour: Live Review" September 2013 Web. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- http://www.grouplovemusic.com/blog/announcing-seesaw-tour-27706. Missing or empty
- http://www.grouplovemusic.com/blog/spring-2014-us-headline-tour-dates-sale-now-31871. Missing or empty
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWK6gOV1wiE "Sean Gadd - Dream With Me"
- http://www.grouplovemusic.com/blog/note-sean-39336. Missing or empty
- Bedian, Knar. "Mad Hops: Grouplove". Sound of Boston. Sound of Boston. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- Chris Martins (January 22, 2014). "Grouplove Thrill in 'I'm With You' From New York Concert Documentary". Spin. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- http://www.grouplovemusic.com/blog/let-me-video-37171. Missing or empty
- Ashley. "iTunes: Colours-Single By Grouplove FREE Download" September 2011. Web. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- "Apple iPod Touch TV ad - Share the fun". Retrieved 2013-01-28.
- "Grouplove Goes to #1; LA-Based Quintet's Hit Single "Tongue Tied" Tops the Modern Rock Chart; Band Performs "Tongue Tied" on NBC's Tonight Show With Jay Leno Tomorrow Night; Performance on NBC's Today Set for July 9". Retrieved 2013-01-28.
- "ARIA Charts - Accreditations - 2012 Singles". Retrieved 2013-01-28.
- "#16: Grouplove - Tongue Tied". Retrieved 2013-01-28.
- "Allmusic.com Grouplove Award listing.". Retrieved 2013-01-28.
- "NASCAR The Game: Inside Line Soundtrack". Retrieved 2013-01-28.
- "australian-charts.com - Grouplove - Never Trust a Happy Song". Hung Medien. Retrieved 19 September 2011.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2012 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- "Canadian certifications – Grouplove". Music Canada. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- "American certifications – Grouplove – Tongue Tied". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- "New Releases 21-11-11". Official Charts Company. November 21, 2011. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
-  ARIA Report 1220. Retrieved 2013-07-27
- "Future Releases on Alternative Radio Stations". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on June 20, 2014.
- "Grouplove appearance on Last Call with Carson Daly".
- "Grouplove appearance on Last Call with Carson Daly".