Growing Up (2011 Philippine TV series)
|Format||Drama, Comedy, Romance, Teen|
|Written by||Sigfreid Sanchez
|Directed by||Lino S. Cayetano|
|Creative director(s)||Johnny Delos Santos|
Carlos Diego Loyzaga
|Opening theme||"Growing Up" by Yeng Constantino|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, English|
|No. of episodes||24|
|Executive producer(s)||Marissa V. Kalaw|
|Running time||1 hour (3:30 p.m)|
|Production company(s)||Dreamscape Entertainment TV|
|Picture format||NTSC (480i)|
|Original run||September 4, 2011 – February 12, 2012|
Growing Up is a Filipino teen drama anthology series aired on ABS-CBN. It is top billed by Mara Clara stars Kathryn Bernardo, Julia Montes, Diego Loyzaga, Kiray Celis and EJ Jallorina with other teen casts Daniel Padilla of Gimik 2010, Neil Coleta of 100 Days to Heaven, and Yen Santos of Good Vibes.
Ella and Tammy are childhood best friends who belong to a set of friends that treat each other as family. As such, they have a mother figure in the person of their favorite teacher, Lisa Ortega, who guides their path in their fragile journey as teenagers. When Ms.Ortega is diagnosed with cancer, Ella and Tammy rally their friends to raise funds for their beloved teacher’s expensive medical treatment. They join various contests in a big event in their community, aiming to seize the biggest prizes. But doing so proves to be no easy task, as each of them discover their respective strengths and weaknesses that challenge the way they think, dream, and love, and in so doing become obstacles to their objective. In the end, they manage to reap the reward they worked for, only to find out that it’s better than they hoped for.
- Julia Montes as Samantha "Tammy" Magtoto (The Sweet and Hopeless Romantic Girl) - Tammy is Ella's best friend and classmate in San Martin. they become closer since Tammy's single father is working overseas, entrusting his daughter to Ella's watch. Unlike Ella, tammy wears her heart on her sleeves, and eventually experiences heartbreak over a young man, Jason Rivero, who has unfinished business with another girl.
- Kathryn Bernardo as Mikaella "Ella" Dimalanta / Cassandra / Angel Butterfly (The Tough Girl) - Cassandra/Ella is a 15-year old middle class student of a modest private school in San Martin, Zambales. She lives with a single mother whom she encourages to stay single to avoid suffering another heartbreak. Her mom's experiences has made her distrustful of men, but meets a test when she falls in love with a show-off and rude classmate, Patrick Rivero.
- Daniel Padilla as Peter Romnick "Patrick" Rivero (The Bad Boy Heartrob) - Patrick is the younger brother of Jason. He really gets upset when he is always compared to Jason by his father. He is picking on Ella that made her always mad at him and sometimes say unkind words to him. But truthfully, he likes Ella from the very start ever since he switched schools. He joined their group because of her. Patrick is also kind and caring especially when it comes to his friends and Ella.
- Carlos Diego Loyzaga as Ejay Edison "Jason" Rivero (The Nice Guy)- Jason is Patrick's elder brother who studies in Manila. A goody two-shoes and obedient son, Jason is pressured with always compared as the better son by his father. Unknown to all, Jason just wants to experience an ordinary teenage life, and when he and Tammy fell for each other, an unfinished past threatens to pull him away from her.
- Neil Coleta as Christian Mico "Tikoy" Navarro (The Joker) - Tikoy is a repeater who attends the same school of Ella, Tammy and Patrick. He has lived in the house of his stern aunt after his single mom went abroad and seemed to have abandoned him. He may look jolly and funny, but deep inside he is yearning for love. He soon finds one, Cassie, but at the expense of discovering an ugly truth.
- Kiray Celis as Brigitte Honey "Britney" Gunay (The Fashionista) - Britney attend the same school of Ella, Tammy, Patrick and Tikoy. Her parents are lower-class workers and she has many younger siblings. She may have a homely face, but among Ella and Tammy, she is the only one with a boyfriend. Funny, loyal, and frank, she soon finds out something about her boyfriend that will challenge the way she loves.
- EJ Jallorina as William Kingston "Winston" Del Rosario (The Art Geek) - Winston belongs to the same school of Ella and company. He loves the arts and often taunted as a geek. He has a long-time relationship with Britney, an experience that eventually leads him to confront his identity after being endeared to another person.
- Yen Santos as Cassandra "Cassie" Montenegro (The Rich Girl) - Cassie is a cloistered daughter who has a transparent relationship with her parents.She's highly idealistic about the concept of love and finding the right man. When she does realize that her long-time suitor, Jason Rivero, is the one for her, she pursues him, but finds out that some things will not follow the way she wants them to be.
- Maricar Reyes as Lisa Ortega - Ms. Ortega is the adviser of the group and coach of the San Martin Sun Spikers Volleyball team. She is the one training them and acts like an elder sister or second mother to the group. The group realizes that she has breast cancer and looks for a way to help her.
- Ron Morales as James Reyes
- Angel Jacob as Isabel
- Jeffrey Santos as Henry
- Jenny Miller as Stella
- Jong Cuenco as MSgt. del Rosario, Winston's Father
- Gerald Madrid as John
- Piero Vergara as Richard
- Tippy Dos Santos as Michelle
- Paolo Serrano as Marco
- Tess Antonio as Britney's Mother
- Marlon Mance as Cassie's Father
- Sandy Aloba as Cassie's Mother
- Ruben Gonzaga as Marlon
- Jovit Baldivino as Brando
- Diane Aquino
- Buan-Deveza, Reyma (2011-08-24). "Is Kathryn Bernardo ready to go solo?". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- Get to know the Growing Up barkada this September 4 retrieved via www.abs-cbn.com 09-04-2011
- Diego Loyzaga, Julia Montes, Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla reveal their growing-up insecurities retrieved via www.pep.ph 09-01-2011
- Kantar Media-TNS National Household Ratings (Sept. 2-5): Kapamilya shows rule primetime race; 100 Days To Heaven leads ABS-CBN campaign retrieved via www.pep.ph 09-06-2011