Growing Up Creepie
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2011)|
|Growing Up Creepie|
|Created by||Mike Young|
Stephanie Anne Mills
|Opening theme||"Creepie Kids"|
Score by Guy Michelmore
|Country of origin||United States
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||26|
|Executive producer(s)||Jim Rapsas|
|Producer(s)||Mike Young Productions
Discovery Kids Productions
|Original channel||Discovery Kids|
|Original release||September 9, 2006– June 21, 2008|
Growing Up Creepie is a Canadian-American animated television series created by Mike Young and produced by Discovery Kids. In other countries, the series was simply titled Creepie. The series premiered on September 9, 2006 to June 21, 2008 and aired one season of 26 episodes. The series had reruns on The Hub until May 30, 2011.
As told in the opening introduction and in the episode "Creepie Crawling", Creepie was an infant left on the doorstep of the Dweezwold Mansion, which is home to a family of various insects. The family took her in and raised her as one of their own. She must now adjust to a life surrounded by a society of insectophobic humans as she attends Middlington Middle School and keeps her home life secret in order to protect both herself and her family.
- Creepie Creecher (voiced by Athena Karkanis): The protagonist, a preteen raised by bugs. She has a cynical and sarcastic personality. Except for Budge she doesn't tell anyone that she was raised by bugs in order to protect herself and her family. She has a fear of clowns. Her catchphrase is "Wicked". Creepie was abandoned on Caroleena and Vinnie's doorstep as a baby, and nobody knows what happened to Creepie's real parents. Creepie's real name is Creepella, but everyone except Dr. Pappas and Vinnie calls her Creepie. If anyone ever finds out that Creepie is being raised by bugs she'll have no choice, but to live somewhere else, and Dweezwold Mansion will be fumigated by Mr. Hollyruller. Creepie loves Photography. Creepie can't sing, but she can play the Bagpipes. Her favorite color is Black.
- Caroleena (voiced by Julie Lemieux): A Praying Mantis, Caroleena is Creepie's adoptive mother and Marge's best friend. She is very strict and constantly threatens to eat her children if they don't listen to her. It was her maternal instinct that persuaded her husband to adopt Creepie. Caroleena loves Cooking.
- Vinnie (voiced by Dwayne Hill): A mosquito and Creepie's adoptive father. He is a New Age vegan that has a sinister vampiric appearance. Like his wife, he is loving to his adopted daughter. Vinnie loves to Paint and Meditate. In the first episode, his voice was originally a stereotypical Dracula voice, but it was changed to a more vague European accent in later episodes.
- Gnat (voiced by Stevie Vallance): Creepie's little brother, a gnat. He constantly sneaks in Creepie's backpack and causes havoc at school. Gnat is actually older than Creepie since he and Pauly were ones that persuaded them family to adopt Creepie.
- Pauly (voiced by David Berni): Creepie's older brother, a pillbug. He is a wise-cracking jokester. He's always hungry and loves to eat.
- Budge Bentley (voiced by Richard Yearwood): Creepie's best friend. He's the only one who knows Creepie's secret. While Budge might look like a bully because of his height and size in reality he's a sweet guy who wouldn't hurt a fly. He's just friends with Creepie and Chris-Alice. Budge is very smart like his dad and Budge loves Yoga. HE also loves etymology.
- Chris-Alice Hollyruller (voiced by Leah Cudmore): Creepie's relentlessly happy friend and neighbor. Her catch phrases are, "Soggy Muffins" and "Super Mega Duper". Chris-Alice is on the cheerleading squad, takes karate, and is always signing Creepie up for stuff at school without asking her first. She loves Sweetie McSwiss Candy and all girly things. Her favorite color is Pink. Chris-Alice is bossy and perky. Creepie told Chris-Alice her secret, and Chris-Alice told Ms. Monserate that Creepie thought she was being raised by bugs. Ms. Monserrate took Chris-Alice to her office to talk to her. Her name is a pun on the word Chrysalis, a form of immature insect. Chris-Alice collects toothbrushes, loves to Hula-Hoop and she loves glueing pennies together for Art. Chris-Alice has a cat named Mr. Whiskers and a Chameleon named Mr.Biggles. Chris-Alice has a non-scary Halloween party every year, and every year when Carla and Melanie refuse to come Chris-Alice will keep calling them until they agree to come.
- George Hollyruller (voiced by Scott McCord): Chris-Alice's father, the local exterminator. He's also the football coach at Middlington Middle School.
- Bunny Hollyruller (voiced by Stevie Vallance): Chris-Alice's mother, a hard-selling real estate agent. Like Chris-Alice she's bossy and perky.
- Melanie and Carla (voiced by Athena Karkanis and Stephanie Anne Mills, respectively): Popular girls who generally act as antagonists to Creepie, but at the same time, they're also 2 of her friends. They are obsessed with Harry Helby, shopping, fashion, make up, and their cell phones. Carla is the leader constantly seen with her cheerleading outfit. Melanie is a stereotypical dumb blonde that has problems with pronunciations. Also it is shown that Melanie really enjoys shiny things. Melanie's favorite color is Blue and Carla's favorite color is Purple. Carla and Melanie just want Creepie to be normal.
- Harry Helby (voiced by Scott McCord): the resident heartthrob, obsessed with his hair. Melanie and Carla have a massive crush on him though he usually ignores them and is somewhat more interested in Creepie.
- Ms. Monserrate (voiced by Julie Lemieux): a firm but fair disciplinarian and principal of Middlington Middle School. Like Dr. Pappas she's always spying on Creepie and the other students at Middlington Middle School and is a stickler for rules. She's obsessed with cleanliness. Her catchphrase is "Detention!". She will usually hand out a detention slip.
- Dr. Pappas (voiced by Juan Chioran): Creepie's homeroom and science teacher. Dr. Pappas is always spying on Creepie and the other students at Middlington Middle School. Dr. Pappas never cuts anybody a break if they're late turning in a class assignment or homework. Dr. Pappas is a stickler for rules. His catch phrase is "Miss Creecher!" He refers to the students by their last names. Dr.Pappas is probably insecure due to being practically bald and having a big nose. Dr.Pappas is afraid of Budge.
- Tarantula Boy (aka Skipper) (voiced by Dan Petronijevic): Creepie's love interest - seemingly half-human, half Goliath tarantula - a headliner at the carnival "freaky" show. In episode "Creepie meets Tarantula Boy", Creepie later found out he was a normal kid and Tarantula Boy was just a costume and lost interest in him. However, in the episode "Return of Tarantula Boy", he appears in a movie and meets back up with Creepie. He introduces her to his mother, who is a real tarantula. In turn, she introduced him to her family, and it turns out that Creepie's mother knew his mom when they were kids, later on, it is hinted that they would start a romantic relationship from then on, but it was never developed.
- Marge (a giant tarantula) (voiced by Leah Cudmore): Skipper's mother and Caroleena's best friend. In the episode "Creepy meets Tarantula Boy" she was revealed to be a giant tarantula who wears hair curlers. She made caramel apples for the carnival and that's how Skipper came to be in the freak show.
- Dr. Lance Pierce (voiced by Patrick McKenna): Prominent and pin-happy entomologist at the Middlington Museum of Natural History. In reality Dr. Pierce is evil and needs braces. His catch phrase is "Oh no!".
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired (U.S. dates)|
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||26||September 9, 2006||June 21, 2008|
Season 1 (2006-2008)
|1||101/103||The Tell-Tale Poem / Creepie Meets Tarantula Boy||September 9, 2006||Creepie's Mother's Day poem causes concern at school. / Creepie falls for Tarantula Boy, who is half human and half spider, when she visits a carnival.|
|2||102/105||The Scared Twitch Project / Frogenstein||September 16, 2006||A school club gets lost while searching for Bugfoot. / Creepie brings a frog to life and it goes around Middlington drinking electricity.|
|3||107/108||Bug It On / The Case of the Mysterious Moth||September 23, 2006||A dragonfly sabotages the cheerleading team and Creepie must lead them to a "buggy" comeback. / Creepie attends her first sleepover where a game makes a REAL ghost moth appear.|
|4||111/112||Attack of the Wasp Zombies / Legend of the Locker||October 14, 2006||When Budge and other students are stung and hypnotized by a Malaysian Wasp, it's Creepie and Gnat to the rescue - karaoke-style! / Creepie unlocks the legend of Gina Redshoes who haunts the school's athletic equipment locker.|
|5||104/106||Bite Nite / Night of Fright||October 28, 2006||Chris-Alice volunteers Creepie and Budge for a Blood Drive at a mysterious hospital. / Chris-Alice's Halloween Party turns out to be a let down when only Creepie shows up. But Carla and Melanie get a big fright when they accidentally stumble into Dweezwold Mansion.|
|6||115/116||Roaché Motel / Little Greenhouse of Horrors||November 4, 2006||Chris-Alice, and Bunny Hollyruller are held captive in a roach trap motel until Creepie negotiates with the motel's owner. / Creepie and Budge free Gnat and Pauly from a giant bug-eating Venus Flytrap.|
|7||110/109||Field of Screams / Mom Under Glass||November 25, 2006||Creepie and Budge discover an endangered American burying beetle on the school football field before the big game. But the beetle turns out to be something other than an innocent bug. / When Creepie forgets her lunch on a field trip to the Natural History Museum, Caroleena falls into the hands of an evil entomologist.|
|8||122/114||Goth To Have Better Friends / Wax Attacks||January 13, 2007||Budge appears to be ignoring Creepie, so Creepie gets some new friends who are obsessed with a band called "The Hissing Roaches". / A grudge-holding wax beetle gets revenge on bug haters by waxing Melanie and Carla. Even though Creepie feels they got what they deserve, she tries her best to free them.|
|9||119/113||Headless Roach Man / Invasion of the Locusts||January 20, 2007||Creepie attends her very first school dance where she mistakes a giant roach for Budge. / Creepie's locust relatives invade Middlington which annoys her, but she stands by them when George Hollyruller tries to exterminate them.|
|10||120/124||Creepie's Living Doll / Operation Monarch Liberation||January 27, 2007||Creepie receives a doll from her Aunt in Mexico that turns out to be possessed. / Creepie frees butterflies from the Monarch Sanctuary, causing massive chaos.|
|11||118/121||Bait and Switch / Shutterbug||March 31, 2007||Creepie accompanies Chris-Alice and her father on a fishing trip where she learns of Old Crabby, a giant crab rumored to inhabit the lake. / Creepie uses an old camera to discover a new hobby and new ways to freak out her peers.|
|12||123||Bad Karma Chameleon / Home is Where the Haunt Is||April 7, 2007||Creepie is forced into taking care of Chris-Alice's bug-eating pet chameleon and must do everything in her power to protect her family. / When Bunny Hollyruller tries to sell Dweezwold Mansion, Creepie must do everything in their power to sour the sale.|
|13||Creepie Friday / The Final Curtain||April 28, 2007||After Creepie comes home to an empty house, Budge plays out some scary scenarios of where everyone might have gone. / It seems that ghosts are haunting the stage where Creepie and her friends are performing a play.|
|14||Creepie and the Candy Factory / The Ice Bug Cometh||May 26, 2007||After Chris-Alice drags Creepie to visit Sweety McSwiss's candy factory, Creepie goes behind the scenes and discovers Sweety's secret. / After Creepie frees a frozen prehistoric bug from the museum, the icebug has trouble adjusting to the modern world.|
|15||Are You Afraid of the Moths / Revenge of the Water Bug||June 9, 2007||Creepie tells a scary campfire story about giant moth people who snatch away a group of friends, one by one. / When Ms. Monserrate flushes a water bug down the toilet on the eve of the school's cleanliness inspection, the bug seeks his watery revenge!|
|16||Nightmare on Locust Lane / The Mummy's Curse||October 13, 2007||Creepie hires Budge to play an "exorcist" to find out if a ghost is haunting Chris-Alice's house. / On a visit to the natural history museum, Creepie and her classmates get lost in the tomb of a mummified pharaoh, and only a dung beetle knows the way out.|
|17||Children of the Pumpkin Patch / Night of A Thousand Legs||October 27, 2007||A day of pumpkin picking turns dark when Creepie and her friends end up at an eerie farm where they're haunted by a mysterious scarecrow. / On Creepie's first Halloween, her trick-or-treating is interrupted by trying to find Aunt Rose who's on the loose!|
|18||Lice Lice Baby (Miami Lice) / Scorpiophobia||November 10, 2007||When Creepie's head lice cousins visit her school, it's a race against time for Creepie to escape before Monserrate flushes her cousins down the drain! / Scorpions take over the theater when Creepie and her friends go to see the big summer blockbuster.|
|19||On Thin Ice / Toxic Mutant Millipede||November 24, 2007||As the kids enjoy fun in the snow, Creepie notices a snowman which seems to be following them around. / Creepie's knowledge of millipedes gives her a strategic advantage when she and Budge get sucked into the virtual "Toxic Mutant Millipede" videogame.|
|20||125||I Was a Teenage Wolfbug / Outta Sight Space Bowl Night||December 8, 2007||After drinking a growth formula, Gnat grows to human size and becomes the most popular kid in Creepie's school. / Creepie is disappointed that her dad can't participate in a bowling night at the new Space Bowl Lanes.|
|21||Rockabye Freakie / Creep of the Deep||January 12, 2008||Creepie reads the baby bugs of Dweezwold the fairy tale of Snow Black and the Four Beetles. / During a surfing contest, everyone but Creepie seems to be affected by the Curse of Black Water Beach, haunted by pirates who capsized there many years before.|
|22||Going For Brogue / Yellow Jacket Racket||January 26, 2008||When the goth band slated to play the school dance cancels due to its bagpipers going batty, Creepie agrees to learn the so-called "haunted" bagpipes. / Gnat is getting bullied by some hornets in an alley, so Creepie tries to help him defend himself.|
|23||The Return of Tarantula Boy / All The President's Pests||February 9, 2008||When Tarantula Boy returns, Creepie learns to appreciate his human side before learning they have more in common than she ever realized. / Chris-Alice's campaign to become school president is disrupted by some angry roaches.|
|24||Creep of the Crop / Creepie Cousin||March 1, 2008||Creepie and Chris-Alice go to a nearby farm to investigate mysterious crop circles. / Creepie is left to babysit Chris-Alice's naughty bug-hating cousin.|
|25||Creepie Crawling / Fashion Victim||April 12, 2008||The story of how a human baby was left on the doorstep of Dweezwold Mansion, taken in by the bugs who lived there, and raised to be a girl named Creepie Creecher. / Creepie is given a makeover against her will and enters the Fashion Forward contest.|
|26||Wanna Bee / The Haunting of Tiki Lagoon||June 21, 2008||Carla is challenged as the school's "Queen Bee" by a new girl who may be more of a queen bee than she. / Creepie and her friends explore Tiki Island, a jungle paradise, in search of treasure, but some haunted Tiki statues are not making it easy.|
The theme song "Creepie Kids" and other songs featured throughout the first series are performed by Samantha Lombardi. They were written by Michael Puskas / Samantha Lombardi, Clarence Jey / and produced by Michael Puskas / Clarence Jey. "Creepie Kids" was released on Lombardi's album, Full Stop, in 2007 on Modern Records and Distribution in the USA The music was featured on a DVD released by Mike Young Productions for a collection of episodes from the second series.
A DVD of Growing Up Creepie was released for Region 1 on August 28, 2007. The single disc volume is titled Creepie's Creatures Volume 1 and features seven episodes. Bonus features includes Creepie's Buggin' Trivia Game and an episode of Corwin Unleashed entitled "Creepy Creatures". It also had a DVD release in Australia from Madman Entertainment. There were plans for other volumes in Australia but they were never released.
- Discovery Kids (2006-2010)
- The Hub (2010-2011)
- YTV (2007-2009)
- Canal 5 (2007-2011)
- Clan TVE (2007-2011)
- CCTV-14 (2007-2009)
Australia and New Zealand
- Nickelodeon (2007-2011)
- Nickelodeon (2007-2010)
- Official Taffy Live website
- Official Splash Entertainment website
- Growing Up Creepie at the Internet Movie Database
- Growing Up Creepie at TV.com