|Traded as||BM&F Bovespa: PCAR3, PCAR4
|Headquarters||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Number of locations||1,951|
|Key people||Jean-Charles Naouri, (President)
Enéas Pestana, (CEO)
|Revenue||US$ 25.0 billion (2012)|
|Profit||US$ 564.1 million (2012)|
Companhia Brasileira de Distribuição trading as GPA (formerly known as Grupo Pão de Açúcar) is the biggest Brazilian company engaged in business retailing of food, general merchandise, electronic goods, home appliances and other products from its supermarkets, hypermarkets and home appliance stores. Its headquarters are in Jardim Paulista, Subprefecture of Pinheiros, São Paulo city.
The company is the second biggest retail company in Latin America by revenue and the second largest online retailer in Brazil. The company operates its e-commerce through Nova Pontocom, a subsidiary of its subsidiary Viavarejo.
For 2013, the company plans to open more than 150 stores, targeting northeast and mid-west regions.
GPA operates through different store concepts (and different banner logos):
- Pão de Açúcar (166 supermarkets)
- Extra (209 supermarkets; 138 hypermarkets; 152 minimarkets; 157 drugstores; 85 gas stations)
- Assaí Atacadista (69 stores)
Currently, GPA is owned by:
- "Board of Directors and Board of Executive Officers", GPA. Retrieved on 17 September 2013.
- "4Q12 and 2012 Earnings", Grupo Pão de Açúcar. Retrieved on 26 June 2013.
- "Contact IR." Grupo Pão de Açúcar. Retrieved on July 2, 2011. "Av. Brigadeiro Luís Antônio, 3142 Jardim Paulista ZIP Code 01402-901 São Paulo SP Brazil"
- Zacks.com (24 July 2013). "CBD's 2Q Earnings Fall Y/Y". NASDAQ (New York). Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- Cowley, Matthew & Winterstein, Paulo (6 September 2013). "Brazil Businessman Diniz to Step Down as Pão de Açucar Chairman". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "3Q13 Earnings Release". GPA. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "3rd Quarter of 2013 Earnings Release". Viavarejo. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Ownership Structure", GPA. Retrieved on 25 November 2013.