Guard Dog (film)
Guard Dog (2004, animation, dark comedy) is a short film (TRT 05:00 min.) which was hand-drawn and produced by Independent Animator Bill Plympton at his Plymptoons Studio. In 2005 the film was nominated for Best Animated Short at the 77th Annual Academy Awards held in 2005 and produced by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Also in 2005 Guard Dog won Best Animated Short at Toronto World of Comedy International Film Festival, and won a Special Jury Mention for Animated Stories at ANIMA - Córdoba International Animation Festival. This film marked the second Academy Award nomination for Plympton, his first being the animated short Your Face at the 60th Academy Awards.
The film is a humorous and surreally-violent answer to the question "Why do dogs bark at such innocent creatures as pigeons and squirrels?" and gives the audience a window into the paranoid mind of a loyal guard dog as it imagines farcically depicted dangers, from harmless flora and fauna on a walk through a neighborhood park. Each potential threat, from flower, butterfly, and grasshopper, to bird, squirrel, and rope-jumping girl, is treated to its own improbable and often bloody vignette.
The eponymous Guard Dog has gone on to be featured in three more Bill Plympton short films to date, and appears in cameo in his feature film Idiots and Angels (2009) and the Weird Al Yankovic music video TMZ (2011). The character Guard Dog is referred to by the artist himself, as Plymptoon's 'Mickey Mouse.'
In 2010 Plympton orchestrated the reprise of this short film called "Guard Dog Global Jam" (debuting in 2011) which featured 75 international artists and animators each of whom worked on re-interpreting a fraction of the film's multiple vignettes.
- Guard Dog on IMDb
- FILM REVIEW; Oscar-Nominated Shorts Few See but Many Should By DAVID KEHR Published: March 25, 2005 NY Times
- Film festivals like Md.'s crucial for 'Hurt Locker' March 14, 2010 by Michael Sragow The Baltimore Sun
- ANIMA - Córdoba International Animation Festival, 2005 (archive)
- Guide Dog (2006) on IMDb
- Hot Dog (2008) on IMDb
- Horn Dog (2009) on IMDb
- Sex, Death and Pragmatism: Bill Plympton's DIY cartoon cottage industry by Vadim Rizov LA Weekly Thursday, Oct 28 2010
- October 28th, 2010 – ActorsE with cartoonist Bill Pympton and comic Brett Walkow
- Guard Dog Global Jam on IMDb
- Award-winning Guard Dog Global Jam To Open New Media Film Festival, Perry Chen to Attend Premiere as One of Creators
|This article related to a short animated film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|