|Type of site||Online Newspaper|
|Owner||Guardian Media Group|
|Created by||The Guardian|
Guardian US is the New York-based American online presence of the British print newspaper The Guardian. It launched in September 2011, led by editor-in-chief Janine Gibson, and followed the earlier Guardian America service which was wound up in 2009. Guardian US is only available online, although Guardian Weekly, an international version of The Guardian is available in print and online.
Guardian America was created in October 2007 and was highly publicised at the time of its launch on the Guardian Unlimited website. The response from Guardian Unlimited users at the time of Guardian America's creation was mixed, reflecting concern about possible changes.
On July 23, 2008 the Guardian Media Group announced that Caroline Little, the former chief executive and publisher of WashingtonPost.Newsweek Interactive, would join the Guardian News & Media America operation in the role of special adviser for its expansion in the United States. She also joined the board of ContentNext, the US-based digital business news publisher that owns PaidContent.org, acquired by GNM earlier in that month.
Until May 2011 the editor of Guardian America was Michael Tomasky.
Guardian News and Media's publications/websites (including Guardian US) have a left of centre political stance - ranging from centre-ground liberal to left-wing socialist in some comment parts of the site.
Guardian US is controlled by Guardian News and Media (GNM). GNM is controlled by Guardian Media Group (GMG), which is controlled by the Scott Trust, a charitable organisation which aims to ensure the editorial independence of the publications and Web Sites of GMG.
- "Guardian News & Media press release: Guardian unveils US url". The Guardian (London). 2011-09-14. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- Michael Tomasky, Comment is free: Welcome to Guardian America Guardian America, October 23, 2007
- Jemima Kiss, GNM hires ex-Washington Post web chief The Guardian, July 23, 2008
- Walt, Vivienne (2013-08-15). "The Browser: Analyzing the tech biz". Thebrowser.blogs.fortune.cnn.com. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- The Guardian, Britain's leading left-wing newspaper, has-naturally!-a policy of "diversity" in hiring newsroom staff.
- "Guardian Media Group". Gmgplc.co.uk. 2013-03-31. Retrieved 2013-08-21.