Guayaquil Ecuador Temple
|Guayaquil Ecuador Temple|
|Dedication||1 August 1999
Gordon B. Hinckley
|Site||6.25 acres (2.5 hectares)|
|Floor area||45,000 sq ft (4,200 m2)|
|Preceded by||Bogotá Colombia Temple|
|Followed by||Spokane Washington Temple|
|Official website • News & images|
In 1982, Spencer W. Kimball, then president of the LDS Church, announced that there would be an LDS temple built in Ecuador. It took fourteen years to secure the necessary government authorizations and the temple was not completed and dedicated until 1999.
Before the temple in Ecuador was finished, church members in Ecuador would travel three days by bus to attend the temple in Lima, Peru. Before the LDS temple was dedicated, an open house was free to all in the community, including government officials. Over one hundred thousand members and non-members participated in the open house.
The temple resides on a hill in Urdesa, a peaceful suburb of northern Guayaquil, Ecuador's main port and most populous city. The Guayaquil Ecuador Temple has a total of 70,884 square feet (6,585.3 m2), four ordinance rooms, and three sealing rooms.
Lynn Shawcroft of Arizona was the first president to oversee the operations of the temple, serving from July 1999 to November 2002.
- Jorge A. Rojas, former temple president
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- Temple architecture (Latter-day Saints)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Ecuador
- Amid tears, Ecuador temple ground broken, Church News, August 17, 1996
- 100,000 expected at open house of Guayaquil Ecuador Temple, Church News, July 10, 1999
- Hart, John L. (August 7, 1999), Guayaquil Ecuador Temple dedication: 'A wondrous day' for members, Church News
- 'This is a day of history', Church News, August 7, 1999
- Media related to Guayaquil Ecuador Temple at Wikimedia Commons
- Official Guayaquil Ecuador Temple page
- Guayaquil Ecuador Temple page