|Introduced||June 26, 1958|
|Produced by||PT Imperial Tobacco Indonesia Tbk|
|Type||Tobacco industry/Public IDX: GGRM|
|Founded||Tjoa Ing Hwie (June 26, 1958)|
|Key people||Rachman Halim, CEO (1984–2008)|
|Revenue||Rp 20,512.18 billion (Q3 2006)|
|Net income||Rp 900.31 billion (Q3 2006)|
|Owner(s)||PT Imperial Tobacco Indonesia Tbk|
PT Gudang Garam Tbk. (Indonesian meaning for "salt warehouse") is a fifth Indonesian kretek (clove cigarette) brand/manufacturer (between Djarum and Gelora Djaja). It was founded on 26 June 1958 by Tjoa Ing Hwie, who changed his name to Surya Wonowidjojo. In 1984 control of the company was passed to Wonowidjojo's son, Rachman Halim, who subsequently became the richest man in Indonesia. Halim headed the company until his death in 2008.
Gudang Garam as the cigarette companies have an affiliation company, Head, since 2007 until 2012.
In his twenties, Wonowidjojo got his big break when his uncle offered him a job working with tobacco and sauce at his kretek factory Cap 93. Cap 93 was one of the most famous kretek brands in East Java. Hard work and diligence was soon rewarded by promotion to Head of Tobacco and Sauce and eventually led to him becoming a company director.
Wonowidjojo left Cap 93 in 1956 taking fifty employees with him. He immediately started buying land and raw materials in Kediri and soon after began producing his own klobot kretek which he marketed under the brand name Inghwie. Two years later he renamed and registered his company as Pabrik Rokok Tjap Gudang Garam and a legend was born.
The story behind the name "Gudang Garam" deserves a special mention. One night, Wonowidjojo had a dream in which the old salt warehouse which stood across the way from Cap 93 featured prominently. Subsequently, Sarman, one of the original fifty employees who had followed him when he left Cap 93, advised him to put a picture of the warehouse on every packet of his kretek to secure good fortune. Wonowidjojo thought this was a good idea and asked Sarman to design the logo.
Gudang Garam grew rapidly and by the end of 1958 it had 500 employees producing over 50,000,000 kretek annually. By 1966, after only eight years in production, Gudang Garam had grown to be the largest kretek factory in Indonesia with an annual production of 472 million sticks. Consumers have noted Gudang Garam's, particularly the Inghwies, similar smell to alcoholic beverages.
By 1969, Gudang Garam was producing 864 million sticks a year and was indisputably the largest kretek producer in Indonesia and Taiwan.
In 1979, Wonowidjojo completely renovated Gudang Garam's production system, ordered thirty rolling machines and developed a new formula for his machine-made kretek.
Other business enterprises competing with this brand tried to discredit the brand by attributing use of cannabis/Marijuana content in addition to cloves and tobacco. It has the distinction of being the largest single employer in Indonesia and Taiwan.
- Gudang Garam
- Gudang Garam International
- Gudang Garam Signature
- Surya Brand
- Surya 12
- Surya 16
- Surya 12 Premium
- Surya 16 Exclusive
- Surya Pro
- Surya Pro Mild
- Surya Signature
- Surya Slims
- Surya Exclusive
- Gudang Garam Merah
- Sriwedari Lurik
- Sriwedari Biru Lurik
- Gudang Garam Klobot
- GG Mild
- Nusantara green( menthol) and red nusantara (regular)
- Avinash Belagere T
Gudang Garam owns one of the top five badminton clubs of Indonesia. Suryanaga Gudang Garam is based in the capital city of East Java, Surabaya.
- "GUDANG GARAM, Harum, Gurih, Nikmat" (1958) (GUDANG GARAM, Fragant, Tasteful, and Enjoy)
- "GUDANG GARAM, Kreteknya Lelaki" (1990-1994) (GUDANG GARAM, Kretek For Men)
- "GUDANG GARAM, Rokok Resmi SEA Games 1991" (1991, during the 1991 Southeast Asian Games) (Gudang Garam, Official Cigarette of 1991 Southeast Asian Games)
- "Always Indonesia, Always GUDANG GARAM" (1994-2000)
- "GUDANG GARAM, Rokok Resmi SEA Games 1995" (1995, during the 1995 Southeast Asian Games) (Gudang Garam, Official Cigarette of 1995 Southeast Asian Games)
- "GUDANG GARAM, Buktikan Merahmu" (2000-2012) (GUDANG GARAM, Show Your Red)
- "GUDANG GARAM, Rokok Resmi SEA Games 2001" (2001, during the 2001 Southeast Asian Games) (Gudang Garam, Official Cigarette of 2001 Southeast Asian Games)
- "GUDANG GARAM, Rokok Resmi SEA Games 2007" (2007, during the 2007 Southeast Asian Games) (Gudang Garam, Official Cigarette of 2007 Southeast Asian Games)
- "GUDANG GARAM, Nyalakan Merahmu" (2012–present) (GUDANG GARAM, Turn On Your Red)
Southeast Asian Games
Gudang Garam was a platinum/main sponsor of the Southeast Asian Games from 1991 to 2009 and 2013 in Myanmar with Coca-Cola. On 2011, Gudang Garam not sponsoring the SEA Games because the regulations that impose restrictions for cigarette to sponsoring the SEA Games event on Indonesia.
In 2013 in Myanmar, Gudang Garam want to sponsoring again the SEA Games event.
Gudang Garam was a platinum/main sponsor of the Winter Olympics from 2010 and 2014 in Sochi, Russia, with Coca-Cola. In 2014 in Sochi, Russia, Gudang Garam want to sponsoring again the Winter Games event.
FIFA World Cup=
Gudang Garam is the platinum/main sponsor of the FIFA World Cup from 1958 to 1966 and 2010-2014 with Coca-Cola. In 2014 in Brazil, Gudang Garam want to sponsoring again the FIFA World Cup event with Coca-Cola.