Gufi Paintal in 2009
Gufi Paintal is an Indian actor who appeared in some notable Bollywood movies in 1980s, as well as television serials and plays. His brother Kanwarjit Paintal and his nephew Hiten Paintal are also actors. He was born as a Sikh.
Initially trained as an engineer, he would go on to follow his younger brother (who had been trained at the Film and Television Institute of India) into acting. Arriving in Bombay in 1969 and Gufi took up modeling, worked as an assistant director for movies and acted in various movies and serials. He has also directed his brother. His most well-known role is that of Mama (Maternal Uncle) Shakuni in the Mahabharat adaption by B.R. Chopra and his son Ravi Chopra which Paintal himself recognizes as his best role. Indeed, he is so associated with his Shakuni character in India that Paintal presented a political discussion show on the news channel Sahara Samay in the character of Shakuni.
Paintal has recently directed the movie, Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu which sketches the life of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, a 16th-century devotee of Krishna who is recognised as an incarnation of the god by followers of Gaudiya Vaishnavism. The film was produced by Pawan Kumar with music by Ravindra Jain. In 2010 he was appointed head of facility at the Abbhinnay Acting Academy in Mumbai, a school established by his Mahabharata co-star Pankaj Dheer.
|- 1994 | Suhaag | Ajay Devagan maternal uncle |}
- 1988-90: Mahabharat – Shakuni
- 2012-13: Mrs. Kaushik Ki Paanch Bahuein – Brijbhushan Bhalla (Extended Cameo)
- 2013: Maharana Pratap - Mughal Emperor Humayun
- The other Paintal Archived 18 December 2010 at WebCite
- Sahara Samay: banking on youth Archived 18 December 2010 at WebCite
- http://www.timesmusic.com/chaitanyamahaprabhu.php Archived March 9, 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- "Akshay Kumar inaugurates Pankaj Dheer's acting academy - Abbhinnay". businessofcinema. 9 April 2010.
- "Akshay inaugurates Abbhinnay Acting Academy". Indiatimes.
- "Gufi Paintal in Mrs. Kaushik". The Times Of India.
|This article about an Indian actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|