The Guide-A-Ride canister is vandal-resistant and was designed for easy updating of the information displayed; though as a partly analog tool still requiring visits to the site – requiring some planning during the massive system-wide service reductions Transit was forced to implement at the end of December 2009.
The prototype for Guide-A-Ride was developed for Transit in 1977, the key novelty in the display of times to the minute the bus was due at the individual stop. Although skeptics doubted the ability of buses on New York’s densely packed streets to show up anything like the times posted, on-time performance proved fairly reliable. In any event, customers had the comfort of knowing they were in the right place at the right time. The actual displays began appearing at New York City bus stops a few years later. Transit operations did not have a good reputation at the time, but Guide-A-Ride came to be viewed as one bright spot.
Even in an age when customers can access on their smartphones real-time bus arrivals as projected by satellite, Guide-A-Ride over three decades on remains an aid to bus riders needing a quick sense at a bus stop of the service offered. Similar transit aids can be seen in at bus stops in other cities including Boston, Atlanta, and Los Angeles, while still attracting the astonished notice of visitors to the Big Apple.
- "How to Ride the Bus, Welcome Tourists and Visitors". MTA New York City Transit Authority. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Fowler, Glenn (October 2, 1980). "New Bus Signs To Help Riders Find Their Way". New York Times. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Preparing the 2010 NYCT Service Reductions: Lessons Learned from Prior Exercise, or How We Spent our Christmas Vacation.". MTA New York City Transit Authority. July 2010. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Blumenthal, Ralph (November 14, 1977). "Information ‘Kiosks’ Help Bus Riders Solve Puzzle". New York Times. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "The Worm and the Apple". The New York Times. June 1, 1985.
- "Key Bus Route Improvement Program". Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Hymon, Steve (August 24, 2010). "The Art of Transit". The Source. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Geller, Larry (June 6, 2012). "Honolulu city government: near zero bang for the buck". Disappeared News. Retrieved 12 August 2013.